Roof Top Tent Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The more I think about it the more I think I can engineer a nice tent/camper using a cheap topper.

Worth a shot my problem is I'm 6'2 most of those toppers aren't that long. There are guys I've seen in the overland portal that also put the tent cots like Mike has on the flat racks

Worth a shot my problem is I'm 6'2 most of those toppers aren't that long. There are guys I've seen in the overland portal that also put the tent cots like Mike has on the flat racks
I have a tent cot. I use it for work. I haven't put it on the tuck but that's an idea for short term.

Or your whole ground tent on the rack, though I sure wouldn't volunteer for overhung side of the tent its doesn't look well supported :oops:

web_GhettoRTT_19.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
IMG_1995.JPG

Roof top tents only seem like a good idea if you travel in areas without wooded trails to me. I would always be concerned with damaging my expensive tent on low limbs or trees during off camber section. How much more comfortable can it be than a Coleman tent and air mattress?
Not bashing just discussing and wandering the true benefits of a tent that expensive from a guy with no experience with RTT's.

I won a CVT RTT a little over a year ago. I have used it once at Jambo last year for 3 nights. I will never go back to ground tents. I even had the dog in there with me and slept better in it than I ever slept in a ground tent. The air mattress deflates and now I'm sleeping on rocks. Carrying cots is not exactly easy. But the RTT is very comfy. I used an old utility trailer I made on a boat trailer and mounted a truck bed rack to it so I could mount the RTT. It worked great. It's not an off road trailer and it isn't pretty but it got the job done. I also have some Thule bars so I can mount on the LX. Set up / tear down is no longer than with a ground tent so I have no complaints. Now if I could only get the damn thing back from a buddy who has used it on 3 or 4 trips and had his entire family in it (It's a 2 man tent with the annex. has tons of room.)

46DA85C0-0A70-4D13-910E-7E190B27E7EE.jpg
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG

Very nice Mike what a score on the CVT , thanks for the feedback and pics. Thats in line with what I'm hearing from others too I'm sold

Very nice Mike what a score on the CVT , thanks for the feedback and pics. Thats in line with what I'm hearing from others too I'm sold

Having said all that, at the time I don't think I would have spent the $2200 for this set-up. But if you want to borrow it Larry, you are welcome to. I just need to get it back from Catlin. :bang:

Having said all that, at the time I don't think I would have spent the $2200 for this set-up. But if you want to borrow it Larry, you are welcome to. I just need to get it back from Catlin. :bang:
Or just start charging him rent :cheers: your a good man I sure appreciate the offer. I'll plan to pull the trigger on one by the end of summer so I can use it this fall. We have trips to TN and the beach this summer with the family so not planning to do any camping in one this summer. That would probably be a rough time to introduce her to RTT camping :lol:

That’s why I carry a Honda e2000 in the trailer for a fan / heater. But I am not a fan of camping in the heat either.

Nice a must for summer camping in the South. I still have my Yamaha generator and was thinking I could get some ports sewn in the tent to hookup a dog AC unit like Paul and Scott have. I built a filler with in and out ports for my sliding window in my Dodge and hooked up that Dog AC in the bed of the truck to sleep it the Cab one trip. That little unit froze me out. Will have to experiment with it :cheers:

Nice a must for summer camping in the South. I still have my Yamaha generator and was thinking I could get some ports sewn in the tent to hookup a dog AC unit like Paul and Scott have. I built a filler with in and out ports for my sliding window in my Dodge and hooked up that Dog AC in the bed of the truck to sleep it the Cab one trip. That little unit froze me out. Will have to experiment with it :cheers:

There is an outfit in South America that builds tents already set up for small window units. Not sure of their quality but I've read on other forums about guys in Florida using them. Looks like there is a dealer in that neck of the woods also.

Roof Top Tent – DEPREDADOR

There is an outfit in South America that builds tents already set up for small window units. Not sure of their quality but I've read on other forums about guys in Florida using them. Looks like there is a dealer in that neck of the woods also.

Roof Top Tent – DEPREDADOR

ETA
Looks like that dealer has a smaller demo unit for sale on Ebay right now also.

Roof Top Tent Anaconda Mantis "DEMO" | eBay

Last edited:
I can see them needing that in Florida if it hold up there it worth looking at, thanks for sharing I'm gonna go check them out. That Demo price isn't bad either :cheers:

This is like the unit Scott and Paul has its a nice and compact setup looks bigger in the picture than it really is in person and it works well. I should have bought one years ago when they were $400 :bang: I think the Dog AC would be lighter and could make a bracket that hangs off the roof rack to sit it in. Only thing is having the in/out ports sewn in the tent. I like the window unit idea but don't like the idea of lugging a big window unit around with me but sure would if thats what it took :princess:

Therm-Assure Pet Air System

15D8AC64-3070-4234-B99C-D481D483E682.jpeg
5BCC0B41-2F7D-44B7-B40C-F2804981D5B7.jpeg
D0914D66-9605-4223-960B-273FC421A09C.jpeg
6EF9ABE0-E3A6-4457-9EA4-7C1EDF491A88.jpeg
So... I just saw this thread...

As said, YES, I do like the idea of a RTT. After the first few times, you can get it setup or tore down in under 20 minutes if you don't open all the windows, and take your time. With 2 people who know what they are doing, even with the windows all open, it's under 12 minutes id say.

That being said. Aside from a "show and tell" event, My rule is 3 days at one spot before I'll setup the Annex. It does take time, though now that I've done it a few times, it's not that bad. I've learned unless you're mounting on a Honda, I always keep a stool inside the 80. I wish I was 8' tall and could easily look at all the zippers eye level, but Alas, I can't so it makes it stupid easy.

As Larry and John said. I'm not the biggest fan of branches against it, but from what I've seen the covers are actually really good. Unless it's a non movable / or one that's fully of sharpness, I'm not necessarily concerned. Just take it by ear.

While I do have one of those "under a minute" tents, I still prefer the RTT.

I do have a 270 degree Awning / Annex finally, so now my rule of 3 days is still true. While it's nice, it can be a chore to setup/pack daily.
Which is why I'm going to also make a trailer setup one day.

Last edited:
I have a Tuff Stuff tent (not expensive though none of them are cheap), and I love it. Has held up well, comfy, easy to pack since pillows, blankets, etc stay in it when we fold it up, and just seems easier than pulling a trailer. Has the zip on annex so I think almost all of these things are made by the same factory.

20160725_173016.jpg
IMG_5198.JPG

Great to hear thanks for the feedback. I've seen their tents and the prices were half the price as some of the others so I wondered on the quality. Great pics :cheers:

Yeah, I think there is 2 factories that make them. (one big name actually makes their own, but I can't remember who)

I can say that the 2 factories use similar style. compare Q and I's tent for example mine is more square wings vs his is more triangular for the cover. both I think are quality. To me the annex overhang is the most important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom