Roof top/ sides removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sgu.life
Ok, hit a another roadblock in my quest to pull my roof and sides off. Beyond some seized bolts, that will have to be drilled out some time, the thing won't budge.

I don't have an oak tree or atv to assist with removal as I saw in another thread, just some eager helpers who work for beer.

How aggressive can I be with this thing?

I wanted to pull the top, then get the sides off separately, but there are some seriously seized bolts and I really want to get this thing in my garage to paint. What do you all reckon? Penetrating fluid has been applied liberally to all locked bolts.

On the plus side I've got new weather stripping all around!

I need to step back and take a break before i pull my hair out. Off to a pre-St. Patricks day event at the local pub - Sexiest Man in Kilt Competition, wish me luck!
IMAG0451.jpg
IMAG0452.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg

If you take out (or break off) all the bolts, a good stiff breeze will take it off. There are bolts coming through the top of the header bar above your ambulance doors, through the sides, the bottom of the bars above your front door, and across the front of the windshield.

Once you've got it off, you can worry about the bolts that are broken off in the gutter.

I've got every bolt that can be pulled out (and some that broke). I've got the ones on the front of the windshield, i've left, not by choice the ones in the angles framing the barn doors.

I have some movement on the front by the windshield, should i just get some serious muscle into it and pry from the front - back? Throw a 2x4 between the open doors and lift with my buddy?

Just pull the top/sides together and deal with it then.
2 guys can do it...3 is better...heard its been done solo. ;)

Looks like he's got a troopy... would a lot heavier.

When I pull the top off mine, I take the cap off first. Two bolts in the front of the windshield, two bolts on the outside. Leave the metal part above the door alone. Take the two screws (or bolts) out of the B pillar at the top. Remove all the bolts from the cap in the sides. Remove two of the screws (or bolts) in the triangle brace in the door(either the verical or horizontal, it doesnot matter). Leave the metal strip above the doors on the cap. Remember to disconnect the overhead lamp. the cap will lift straight up and off with the metal door strips still attached. Unbolt the sides at the tub. Besure to back the bolt that is half way down on the B piller (by the seats). There is a tube about one foot long in the B piller. One person can easily remove the top this way.

I picked the top of my bj42 with a set of extra hands, i would recommend taking it with the sides and remove them afterwards.

We had to be kinda rough, the weatherstripping was "seized" so it was pretty stuck on the tub.

Btw, got more pics of your 40?
What color is that?

Well, i just had to tighten the waist strap on my panties and not be a sissy about it. Good 'ol fashioned muscle did the trick today.

For the record - troopy sides and top are heavy mfer's. Took 4 of us to get it off, had to push and really break the seal then it was easy.

I got soo excited seeing it apart I couldn't help but pull the doors and drop the windshield and take her for a hot lap around the neighborhood. I'm a changed man, love the look of the troopy all together, but REALLY LOVE the feeling of driving with everything off and the wind lapping my face. Reminds me of the first time I ever rode in a 40! Should have had goggles on - dust/rust particles were flying. Also glad I pulled the windshield down, I'm now $10.21 AUD closer to retirement!
IMAG0457.jpg
IMAG0459.jpg
IMAG0460.jpg

It's a HJ47 from 1980 Nordic Blue - my favorite color, i like the dune beige, but the blue is pure sex to me, I'll throw up some more up dates as I Rust stop the inside tub, then grey herculiner, sound proof (what a misnomer) blah blah blah standard updates and improvements.
IMAG0463.jpg
IMAG0465.jpg
IMAG0466.jpg

Save that change and buy us a round of V.B.! :beer: cheers.

i'm a XXXX fan myself, but your on! I think all the hidden change caches have been found though!

Not to change the subject but in N.J. you have to wear a helmet and goggles if you want to ride with the windshield down....is that the same out west? I almost got a ticket for that on my own street.

ooo thats a good question. I never thought about that, now that I think about it, I've never even seen heeps running around all stripped.

I have also heard that the vehicle has to have a 2" lip from the floor pan up to keep your feet from falling out and to keep any joe smo from taking the doors off their trucks and driving around.

dukface....thats a nice ride BTW.....always wanted a troopy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom