Roof Top Lights **Don't Flame Me** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I knew going into this that I ran the potential risk of getting glare on the hood and I made steps to prevent that. What I did not plan for was the amount of glare onto the dash and inside windshield.

Before I get flamed, my question is: Does anyone know of a source for light shields for retangular lights? IPF 868's. I searched but didn't find anything.

I can't move the rack back anymore. My RTT is already pretty far back due to it's size and location on the rack because of the front bars from the ARB Touring.

Maybe it's just the lights as they are flood combo's. They are really bright, but I cannot use them as they are now because of the amount of glare inside the cabin.

image-1619073531.jpg

image-1619073531.jpg

Could you mount shields to the bottom of the lights? similar to what is used on the top side of traffic lights?

Could you replace them with a non flood light with a different light pattern?

Maybe you could rock a sun visor on your truck....haha

Yeah, I think fabbing up a little visor out of sheet metal for the underside of each light would do the trick. Wouldn't have to protrude far to shade the windshield/cabin. I'd probably give them a little down angle to discourage water from puddling in them (unless the lights are already tilted down sufficiently).

Could you mount shields to the bottom of the lights? similar to what is used on the top side of traffic lights?

Could you replace them with a non flood light with a different light pattern?

Maybe you could rock a sun visor on your truck....haha

I was thinking of making shields out of sheet metal. Shouldn't be too much trouble. Would be nice if something was already made because I don't have mad skills at fabrication. What I mean is I'm sure someone could make something look prettier than me.

I don't want different lights. The ARB Touring racks are hard to fit lights on and IPF had about the only solution. And an LED bar is still too high cost for the benefits.

Yeah, I think fabbing up a little visor out of sheet metal for the underside of each light would do the trick. Wouldn't have to protrude far to shade the windshield/cabin. I'd probably give them a little down angle to discourage water from puddling in them (unless the lights are already tilted down sufficiently).

Thanks. Will try that.

Sweet looking 60, how did you run the wires?

Thank you.

I run all 4 lights on one circuit through a relay. I used very high quality 10g wire both negative and positive. I'm not one for drilling holes in the roof. I ran the wires inside the passenger fender and out between the hood and fender up the a pillar tucked in behind the snorkel. Then used the gutter to lay the wires in and up through the first clamp. I shrink wrapped the two wires coming up the a pillar, and put extra wrapping around where it sat between the hood and fender opening. I wrapped the rest of the wire in plastic sleeve and fabric cloth and zip tied all the wires to the rack. Very clean install in my opinion.

On a recent trip to the coast this past weekend, just running my hella lights on the front produced so much light that road sign reflection was really bright. My Hella 4000 lights on the front shine probably about half mile down road. With the roof top lights I can only imagine that much fill in the better and the two outside lights pointed outboard will give better side visibility.

I have a great HVAC shop in town that, in order to keep shop time productive, will make you whatever you want. Might be worth a visit to a smaller mom and pop mechanical, sheet metal, or HVAC shop and see if their "tin bender" can fabricate you something?

Either fit up the shields already mentioned, or move the whole rack forward and the lights lower so they actually hang forward of the uppermost part of the windshield. Far enough forward and low and the light will not hit the glass. Just another alternative.

Either fit up the shields already mentioned, or move the whole rack forward and the lights lower so they actually hang forward of the uppermost part of the windshield. Far enough forward and low and the light will not hit the glass. Just another alternative.

I can certainly do that.

x2.

No flaming necessary. You just ended up with an extra issue you have to work around. You should be familiar with that if you've done any modification to a Cruiser :D

1st - I really like the way your 60 looks.
2nd - Rather than fab individual shields, could you weld/rivet a single sheet of metal under the lights that runs the width of the rack? I don't think it would need to be very wide. ...or
3rd Use a #10 can as a pattern to bend each shield. (#10 can may be a little too big).

4th - Keep the photos coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom