Roof Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
Nice looking '62 for sale on the forums, but I'm a little spooked by the roof and windshield rust. This inside-out rust looks like a bear to fix. What do you all think?

1614609880645.png

1614609937319.png

You can see the cracking gutter seam sealer in the second photo that lead to the rust.

If you want to fix it, you’d need a donor roof and you’d cut current one off and weld the donor on. I’m guessing it’s down the A pillars too. Also, when the roof seams have been leaking, usually the floor inside of the rockers is also in tough shape.

If you want a trail rig or winter truck, you could treat the rust, store it indoors and it would easily last another decade.

You can see the cracking gutter seam sealer in the second photo that lead to the rust.

If you want to fix it, you’d need a donor roof and you’d cut current one off and weld the donor on. I’m guessing it’s down the A pillars too. Also, when the roof seams have been leaking, usually the floor inside of the rockers is also in tough shape.

If you want a trail rig or winter truck, you could treat the rust, store it indoors and it would easily last another decade.
+1 If you're storing it outside and intend to spend money on it, I'd look elsewhere. You should prioritize getting the cleanest body you can, it will make life exponentially easier for you long term

+1 If you're storing it outside and intend to spend money on it, I'd look elsewhere. You should prioritize getting the cleanest body you can, it will make life exponentially easier for you long term
Makes total sense. I want a truck I can invest in long term.

I'm optimistic I can keep rust away with Krown. Soak the underside in mineral oil and drill holes in every cavity to fill them with oil. Has worked wonders on my 100-series. Just need to find the right truck to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom