Roof runner (for lack of a better term) removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ww.instagram.com
Not the rack, but I want to remove these bars below the tire in order to convince her to fit in the garage with the tire up top. Six bolts total. What can I expect to find under there if I dig in? General procedure? Any holes to plug, etc?

20220212_143014.jpg

The tops slide off once the bolts are removed. The track is glued to the roof with something like VHB tape...removing THAT was the tough part for me. I removed the Rivnuts and filled the holes with SteelStik then Monstalined most of the roof. Same with the roof rack holes. I had several rusted areas.

That tire is more likely to deform your roof without the roof ribs on there. I think the tire up top is a bigger problem than the roof ribs. Just my two cents.
Getting the adhesive under the ribs off sucks. A heat gun helps a lot.

💪Thanks, Joey. Your kit is next...
No it isn't. :rofl:
Not the rack, but I want to remove these bars below the tire in order to convince her to fit in the garage with the tire up top. Six bolts total. What can I expect to find under there if I dig in? General procedure? Any holes to plug, etc?

View attachment 2922841
Ok, 2 things:

1) You can slide the bars off, then replace the end caps. Leave the strips in place in case you decide to put the bars back on. They are very thick aluminum and useful for other things.

2) That tire will be a dangerous projectile in an accident. And if it's strapped to those rails, it will take them with it.

No it isn't. :rofl:

Ok, 2 things:

1) You can slide the bars off, then replace the end caps. Leave the strips in place in case you decide to put the bars back on. They are very thick aluminum and useful for other things.

2) That tire will be a dangerous projectile in an accident. And if it's strapped to those rails, it will take them with it.

Touche. Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward ditching the idea at this point. Haha.

Also, are the roof rack delete kits unavailable now? Didn't catch what you meant.

Touche. Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward ditching the idea at this point. Haha.

Also, are the roof rack delete kits unavailable now? Didn't catch what you meant.
Yeah I see people do it, and it makes sense off road. But it's a huge liability on road should something happen. Insurance companies no-likey either.

No. lol There's a batch of kits in process @NLXTACY :cheers:

If you have an electric garage door opener, check to see if there is a adjustment capability on how high the door is raised. If you do this may allow you to fit.

I removed those roof ribs and the sticky shît underneath was easily removed by using my thumb to push it into something I could grip and pull off. I didn’t even use a heat gun. Others have used the 3M eraser wheel to remove it without drama too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom