Roof rail removal

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star

Okay, I did search...

I have taken off the caps and slid the rail off the mount that is glued to the roof... Now how do I get the damn mount off?!?

Beowulf

Body supply shops sell a large disk that is essentially a big eraser. It goes into your drill and makes quick work of removing the adhesive. It was cold when I removed mine and it took about 30 minutes for all 5 strips. In warmer weather you might be able to pull most of it off as Raven suggested.

-B-

chiz45

sweet...it was 105 out today. Might be a good time to get this done!

Beowulf said:
Body supply shops sell a large disk that is essentially a big eraser. It goes into your drill and makes quick work of removing the adhesive. It was cold when I removed mine and it took about 30 minutes for all 5 strips. In warmer weather you might be able to pull most of it off as Raven suggested.

-B-

sorry I did not tell the whole story, mine did not pull of cleanly and left quite a bit of residue that I still nedd to take care of :doh: but the rubber mount strip did come right off.

Darwood

I would second B's suggestion. I've never bought said wheel but I should. If the wheel took two hours to remove the adhesive I would still say go with it. Your fingers will thanks you.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

I'm betting the adhesive stuff they used for the rails on the roof is the same stuff they use on the cladding on the LX 450s.

USE SOMETHING OTHER THAN YOUR FINGERNAILS.

Hopefully I didn't overstate that. :D

My fingernails were worn down to the nubs when I was done rubbing all that goo off the sheet metal.

The goof-off/goo-gone stuff that looks and smells like lighter fluid works well, but you still have to work it in.

Don't waste your time and money on the citrus stuff.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star

yeah, I know that the eraser (made by 3M, I think) works well for that type of stuff. My problem is I can't pull the rubber strip off to get to the glue.

Darwood

I kinda pried up the strip with a putty knife first to get it started. Once you get an end up you should be good to go. You could also try fishing line or floss to try to saw the adhesive a bit.

Me , I went at it with :

1 ) Floss
2 ) Heat gun & my thumb
3 ) A semi-sharp knife
4 ) Goo gone solvent

Then I plugged the holes with tandem allen head set screws soaked in aircraft grade liquid gasket, and finally drove over to the Line-X place and had her sprayed.

TY

Top Bottom