Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
sf4wheel.alloffroad.com
Well, I'm in the market for a good (but cheap) roof rack for my 73FJ40. I saw that JTO had Safari racks but it doesn't say if they are for 40's. So my question is who makes some racks that cover most of the roof and are affordable? I really don't want to spend more than $250. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We purchased a Con-Ferr rack for our tahoe which has been great, next will be one for the cruiser.
http://www.con-ferr.com/

I think SOR also sells them. If I remember correctly, the racks are not cheap.
Yeah, that's why I avoid SOR and MAF like the plague. Their prices are just too damn high for me. I can buy stuff off of ebay or other vendors for a lot cheaper. I just didn't know if you guys had purchased one from CCOT or JTO or mayb even Summit? Oh well, I guess I have to motivate my lazy butt to call these guys and get the lowest price :p

If you can weld I would think that you could make one that was pretty nice. Make it so it mounts how you want, and the size is to your specs. might save you a lot if you have the tools. Plus it would be a one of a kind,

I'm at the same point with my '40. Looking, but no decision yet. I like the aluminum ones to reduce the amount of weight up high, but I do think you could fab one pretty cheap. They make bending jigs for 3/4" thin wall square tubing, then a buddy with a wire welder and you're in business. I'd buy the driprail mounts and use more than you think you need. If you have a buddy that is an electrician, he could bend one out of 1" conduit. Good luck. I ran across a website that had some good looking driprail mounts. They were cast aluminum and about 54.00, but that price was for four. Adequate for a less-Good luck. than-full-coverage rack. If you're interested, I'll try to find it.Good luck.

Hey Degnol- what's the website with the driprail mounts? If not for Design, I could use it. I plan on making a rack for my pig as a wintertime project.

I was going to suggest four wheel parts warehouse, and jc whitney- but I just looked at both of their sites, and they don't really have any serious roof racks...
Zipp.

Altrec.com product is Northwest River Supplies, Good looking item, read the reviews. Good luck

I made this one for the 62 some years ago. The gutter mounts are from Quik-n-easy of Monrovia, Calif. The rack is made from a thick wall square aluminum tubing. The only thing I wasn't able to do was the bending. I found a street rod outfit to for the eight bends and then commenced a welding.

I was searching for a rack awhile back and ran across a guy selling racks he was making on ebay. They were pretty nice racks. And the price was right ($200 or so). He would sell you the standard he advertised on ebay or make you a custom one. The only thing he didn't do was paint them.

I think it was a guy who loaded cider blocks on the racks to show its strenght and i think he is based in minnesota. it really looked like a nice rack for about 200. I been searching 4 the site 2.

Thanks for all the help guys. I may just go ahead and get a tubing bender so I can make my own. I like the look of yours GreenWeeny. I might try something like that. L8tr!

Gobi Roof Rack

The exact opposite from the price range you are looking for. But if anyone is looking for a great designed and American built rack for their FJ40, Gobi Racks out of Denver, CO cannot be beat.

Had one on my H2 years ago and the build quality was perfect. They are just done designing a rack for the 40 that does not attach to the actual roof, so during the warmer months you can remove the roof and not the rack.

I haven't seen the rack on their website yet, but the owner sent me some pix of it and I am going to order one after Christmas. The owner and his wife are great people and big 4 wheelers also.

Thanks,
Blake

Wow ... 10 year thread revival!!! That's great ... its also got be be a record :)

The racks look good from the pictures on their site... Kinda like ones I've seen before... Wilderness racks?

For those that do not know the ConFerr (from post #2) brand of racks has been recreated by diamondrax... A mud member as well ...

Very stout like the conferr racks of old... See link >>>> http://www.diamondrax.com/

ive never even seen a post from '03!! and x2 on please share pics of the gobi rack. thanks.

The exact opposite from the price range you are looking for. But if anyone is looking for a great designed and American built rack for their FJ40, Gobi Racks out of Denver, CO cannot be beat.

Had one on my H2 years ago and the build quality was perfect. They are just done designing a rack for the 40 that does not attach to the actual roof, so during the warmer months you can remove the roof and not the rack.

I haven't seen the rack on their website yet, but the owner sent me some pix of it and I am going to order one after Christmas. The owner and his wife are great people and big 4 wheelers also.

Thanks,
Blake

I'd love to see pics also. What is the estimated price? And where does it attach?

Thanks!

If anyone is still looking for a USED rack, pm me. After 10 years, I am sure this has been sorted out. However, I have one just sitting in my back yard that I am not using.

C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom