roof rack that slee sales (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you guys have the rack that slee sells?

If so I would like to see pictures and know what you think of it

I helped dclee install his. It is a thing of beauty. It is the nicest rack I have seen on a Cruiser by far. If you have an extra $1400, go for it.

Sam,

Riley, TJK, and I have the Outback rack that Christo sells. There are probably others but these are the other names that I remember. Here are some threads with pics.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=6246&highlight=outback

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=37206&highlight=outback

Everyone that has one, including me, loves the Outback rack. Riley has the 3/4 length version.

This is mine:
It_Fits.jpg

-B-

Last edited:
Sam,

Look carefully at the rack floor on Landpimp's picture below:

115549800.jpg

You will notice the adjustable mounting eyes that are a really neat feature. Each floor panel has 2 slots running front to back the full length of the rack floor. You can use the Outback accessories or anything you want. I have my CO2 tank attached up there with 6 bolts. The rails have bigger slots for larger bolts. As you can see from the pics, the rack is very versatile.

I have also carried bikes using a Yakima bar attached to the Yakima universal mounting pads (the ones that hook to vehicles w/o gutters.) The pads will clamp to the floor of the rack.

-B-

Last edited:
yup, real real neat and usefull feature.

have you found the nuts anyplace besides Slee?

like to see a pic of the tank mounted on the rack.....please ;)

Beowulf said:
Sam,

Look carefully at the rack floor on Landpimp's picture below:

115549800.jpg

You will notice the adjustable mounting eyes that are a really neat feature. Each floor panel has 2 slots running front to back the full length of the rack floor. You can use the Outback accessories or anything you want. I have my CO2 tank attached up there with 6 bolts. The rails have bigger slots for larger bolts. As you can see from the pics, the rack is very versatile.

I have also carried bikes using a Yakima bar attached to the Yakima universal mounting pads (the ones that hook to vehicles w/o gutters.) The pads will clamp to the floor of the rack.

-B-

Here's the beautiful thing: you can use the rack on both an 80 or a 100! You just have to buy another set of mounting feet for the particular truck. I bought the 100 rack because it was slightly narrower than the 80, which is how I like it (doesn't hang off the edges of either truck). Also, the 100 rack requires special rails that bolt to the roof. If you go the othe way and buy the 80 rack and want to use it on the 100, you would also have to buy these rails in additon to the 100 feet. Anyway, slap another set of feet on there and I can now move the rack between both vehicles!

Undoubtedly this would also work for a 60 as well.

Landpimp said:
have you found the nuts anyplace besides Slee?
like to see a pic of the tank mounted on the rack.....please ;)

I have not found the same metric square nuts with the "pointy" corners but 3/8" (IIRC) hex nuts also fit in the slots. I found some std square nuts but they were a little too big.

I will take pics the next time I'm taking it out with the CO2 tank.

-B-

I promised a couple of pics for Landpimp. Here are 2 with the tank mounted. Fortunately, the holes in the tank bracket lined up perfectly with the slots in the AO rails so no drilling was needed.

Tank_on_Rack_1.jpg

Tank_on_Rack_2.jpg

Bracket_to_Rack_1.jpg

Here are a couple of the AO rack loaded with Action Packer, water jugs, shovel mount, and Hi-Lift mount done a little differently than pimp's.

Loaded_Outback_Rack_1.jpg

Loaded_Outback_Rack_2.jpg

-B-

Last edited:
sweet, thanks for the pics :)

I have that same tank mount, found it at the swap meet for $5 :)

so what did you use for the nuts? the Outback ones or something else?

Beowulf said:
I promised a couple of pics for Landpimp. Here are 2 with the tank mounted. Fortunately, the holes in the tank bracket lined up perfectly with the slots in the AO rails so no drilling was needed.

Here are a couple of the AO rack loaded with Action Packer, water jugs, shovel mount, and Hi-Lift mount done a little differently than pimp's.

-B-

Landpimp said:
so what did you use for the nuts? the Outback ones or something else?

I bought some SS standard hex nuts and bolts at Lowes. I can't recall the exact size but I think it was 3/8". They work but the square nuts with the pointy edges would be better. Let me know if you find a source. My Lowes had a few sizes of square nuts but not the correct size.

-B-

I can't stress how great the African outback roof rack is.. I have one on my 100 but I've never had to get up on the roof to load/unload it until last week.. I've recently removed my side steps so it was a pain to load it without going up there.. I'm a big guy, about 120KG last time I've checked. I though the rack floor rails will bend or something but they handled my weight just fine.. I even sat up there on the jerry cans for a few minutes to enjoy the view.. at other times, me and another friend were up on the rack with our gear and it took all that just fine.. :)

Does anyone know what the laod capacity of the full-length African Outback rack is in pounds?

I'm currently using the Yakima Mega Warrior on the stock LC roof rack. Since it is limited to 150 lbs. you can't put too much on it. With it's own mounting system can the AO rack hold More?

I don't currently put too much up there but the stock rack capicity gets used up quickly: Mega warrior 45 lbs, Highlift 35 lbs, 5 gal gas 30lbs and you are at 110lbs already!

I'm toying with the idea of a roof-top tent in the future so that is why the interest in the AO capacity.

I think each longways peice of flooring is rated at 250lbs.

I would say up to 500lbs total would be OK, the way it mounts to the body is much better than the gutter mount on my fj80 and I have had 500+ up there many many times.

3rd Cruiser said:
Does anyone know what the laod capacity of the full-length African Outback rack is in pounds?

I'm currently using the Yakima Mega Warrior on the stock LC roof rack. Since it is limited to 150 lbs. you can't put too much on it. With it's own mounting system can the AO rack hold More?

I don't currently put too much up there but the stock rack capicity gets used up quickly: Mega warrior 45 lbs, Highlift 35 lbs, 5 gal gas 30lbs and you are at 110lbs already!

I'm toying with the idea of a roof-top tent in the future so that is why the interest in the AO capacity.

Landpimp,

Thanks for the info. That is some serious load carrying capability. I saw your write up about your slee sliders and AO roofrack additions. The rack looks great and that's what got me lusting after one of my own.

Question: Is the rack basically a permanent fixture or can it be removed without too much hassel? Garage clearance may be an issue. With the OME lift the stock roof rack rails clear the door by about 5".

it would be a hasle to take the whole rack off, it looks like just 6 bolts on each side but those bolts are not easy to get a wrench around(so no sockets) I bet it would take an hour to get it off.

now you can take off the rail with less work. Also the rack might be able to be mounted a bit lower than I have it.

On a 80 it might some off alot easier than on a 100, its a different mount(to body) set up.

I would say the rack can take more weight than the roof can take,its lightweight but super heavy duty, nicest rack I have ever seen/used, not cheap but its worth it.

John

3rd Cruiser said:
Landpimp,

Thanks for the info. That is some serious load carrying capability. I saw your write up about your slee sliders and AO roofrack additions. The rack looks great and that's what got me lusting after one of my own.

Question: Is the rack basically a permanent fixture or can it be removed without too much hassel? Garage clearance may be an issue. With the OME lift the stock roof rack rails clear the door by about 5".

John ,

Thanks. Looks like I might need to put a new AO rack in the "What is your cruiser getting for Christmas" thread. And the yakima Mega warrior in the "Parts for sale" section.

The garage acess really isn't an issue since the cruiser rarely gets to be park inside. The wife's Audi always seems to be the priority. The old "but we own the LC and the audi is leased", argument never works.

I'm looking for a source of the pointy nuts as well. So if anybody finds a source, speak up.

Excellent rack but I wouldn't want to pull it on & off.

The 3/4 rack is cool if you don't need to entire roof area for storage. There's a trick I figured out that if you spin it front to rear, you can place the clamps such that they don't mount near the door weather-stripping. See pic.
side_detail_b.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom