Roof rack storage boxes -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all --

Well, I've added a new pup to my brood, so I now have three crates in my cruiser --

-- I'm looking at Christo's 1/2 rack for the 80, and was looking at storage boxes, too --

-- are there any decent options out there? I was looking at one at the 4x4 connection, but it's overall pretty small for the amount of $$ I'd be dishing out --

Here's their URL:

http://www.4by4connection.com/roofrackboxes.html

-- any ideas? I can always go the route of a passer-by I saw at a hotel this last January, too --

:)

eric

Depends what you need it for...

I have Thule racks and a Thule box. Works well for me as I can use it for skis, paddles, lots-o-bags, etc and can still carry canoes, bikes, etc on the racks. I can still use the sun roof and the cargo box has a built-in place to allow for the 'tilt' use of the sunroof. While I like the looks of the expedition racks, the extra weight and drag is no fun. I can remove the racks by myself in 1 min, mount the box in 5 min solo and take off in 3 min solo.

I also have a dog cage in the back and have built storage under the cage. This raises the cage to the same height as the windows so the dog gets more air and a better view :D

Cheers, Hugh

I've been looking at Pelican brand cases. They are water-tight and tough as nails. Pretty pricey, but nothing like the box shown in the link above.

Issues are size and weight. I have a full-length ARB rack and would like to get 4 boxes/cases that fit on the rack from side to side and back to rear edge of sunroof. These boxes, of course, would have to be strapped down....but I'd rather pack them and load them than to have to pack them while they sit atop the Cruiser. Other ideas?

You don't need a special roofrack box, just a storage box. That's why you're having such a hard time finding them. I had the box that scabconnection sells. Nice box, but over priced. If you want something heavy duty, then search the net for aluminum diamond plate boxes.

Either that or lose a pup. Take out seats or whatever.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12804;start=msg117840#msg117840 date=1078846738]
You don't need a special roofrack box, just a storage box. That's why you're having such a hard time finding them. I had the box that scabconnection sells. Nice box, but over priced. If you want something heavy duty, then search the net for aluminum diamond plate boxes.

Either that or lose a pup. Take out seats or whatever.
[/quote]

thanks for this - i agree, a storage box is better -- I don't want to load the stuff while the box is on the roof either --

e

Congrads on the new dog. I have three dogs(2 Huskies and a lab) that travel on about ever wheeling trip my wife and i go on. Most of my gear just gets packed in the back seat (I guess when we have kids I will be in trouble). I do have a con-ferr roof rack that I can put most of my camping stuff in (sleeping bags tent etc..) I have been thinking about putting some of the rubbermade boxes up there that you can buy just about buy anywhere and just strapping it down. does anybody see any draw backs of this??

Tim

-- btw, junk, i agree on losing a pup or two -- these 11 little 'uns are headed out next weekend --

-- definitely no sex'n'suds for me --

:'(

Make sure you wash that tub out before ya take a bath :D :D

Dude..that tub looks disgusting.....

My wife would frickin' kill me.....nice lookin dogs though.

Eric,
Action packer is made by Rubbermaid and they have a couple of different sizes. You can get them cheap at Wally World and they're pretty rugged.

-B-

Eric,

Before I built my rack, I tried a "hamburger" box on top for 1 trip. It collasped the stock luggage rack and was a pain getting things out of but at least it was leakprook. Cheap and crummy.

Bill

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=12804;start=msg117939#msg117939 date=1078856987]
Eric,

Before I built my rack, I tried a "hamburger" box on top for 1 trip. It collasped the stock luggage rack and was a pain getting things out of but at least it was leakprook. Cheap and crummy.

Bill
[/quote]

thanks for this bill -- and you have two of everything, so this didn't matter one bit, did it??

::)

Eric,
I use one of those for all of my kitchen gear when I go camping. fits in right next to the dog kennel in the back. that is till I finish my current carpentry project and start the drawers for the back.
Dave

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=12804;start=msg117987#msg117987 date=1078863296]
Eric,
I use one of those for all of my kitchen gear when I go camping. fits in right next to the dog kennel in the back. that is till I finish my current carpentry project and start the drawers for the back.
Dave
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave -- 2 of those plus a rubbermaid toolbox will fit on the rack just fine -- and no worries of metal to metal or someone jacking a $390 aluminum box --

e

Shees, when I see that tub pic it makes me wanna yack. Dude, you should have cleaned that out after you used it and before you put the flea carriers in there.

Eric,

Too much information buddy, waaay too much information.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom