Roof rack/roof camper for 88 FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just got my FJ running after idling issues. The gas had sat in the tank for about half a year, so I put a new tank in with a fuel system cleaner, and it started right up. So happy driving it around town, getting smiles and waves from other Yotas. Awesome feeling! Anyways, I've seen a bunch of photos of Fj's with pop up campers. I'm not looking to drop a s***load of money, but I want a solid roof rack that I could later put a tent on. What are some options? I don't really know where else to look. Not to load too many questions in one thread, but what would yall recommend for a light bar or external lights? The stock headlights suck.. Thanks! -Ashton

Hello, I just got my FJ running after idling issues. The gas had sat in the tank for about half a year, so I put a new tank in with a fuel system cleaner, and it started right up. So happy driving it around town, getting smiles and waves from other Yotas. Awesome feeling! Anyways, I've seen a bunch of photos of Fj's with pop up campers. I'm not looking to drop a s***load of money, but I want a solid roof rack that I could later put a tent on. What are some options? I don't really know where else to look. Not to load too many questions in one thread, but what would yall recommend for a light bar or external lights? The stock headlights suck.. Thanks! -Ashton
Cant go wrong with ARB, they're pretty heavy though. gamiviti is a popular option too. Really even yakima cross bars can hold a tent up if you wanted them to.

I wanted to put a light bar on my FJ60 but never did, I hardly go fast enough at night to justify it. I use cheap Hella lights mounted to my bumper instead

Cant go wrong with ARB, they're pretty heavy though. gamiviti is a popular option too. Really even yakima cross bars can hold a tent up if you wanted them to.

I wanted to put a light bar on my FJ60 but never did, I hardly go fast enough at night to justify it. I use cheap Hella lights mounted to my bumper instead
Thanks! What Hella lights did you get? Me either, I would like to have them just in case and for looks.

Also, do you know what it takes to actually mount it on? Do I have to buy the mounts separately?

Also, do you know what it takes to actually mount it on? Do I have to buy the mounts separately?
Tools are included with the arb. mounting kit sold separately. And the hella 550ff's They're cheapo lights. If your looking for inspiration make an Instagram account and look up FJ60's

I run a front runner rack on my ‘88 with quick release tent mounts and a roof top tent. I really dig the front runner rack because it’s so modular and they make a bunch of slick accessories to build the rack out how you’d like.

The quick release tent mounts allow me to take the tent off with a friend in a couple minutes so I don’t have to drive around with it all the time. I have liked the setup a lot so far. It’s sturdy, easy to work with, and wasn’t too terribly expensive. I will say the truck is even more of a dog with all that weight up top, so keep that in mind as you’re shopping. It’s probably another 300 lbs up there with a rack and a tent.

83D41730-67F0-4AAB-8318-5DB95E871587.jpeg

Not to load too many questions in one thread, but what would yall recommend for a light bar or external lights? The stock headlights suck..

I run just some Hella Aux lights. Black magic 500s:

Amazon product ASIN B00318JTCS

Cheap and good enough for my needs. Run them off a factory defrost switch. HTH

IMG_6018.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

FrontRunner and GFC superlite. Have both and love it. But in hindsight I wish i would just done frontrunner crossbars instead of the full rack.

I'd start with a great standard full length roof rack that is a great rack all by itself. You can't go wrong with ARB's offerings, except the price.
Then from that solid foundation I'd explore a roof top tent that can be mounted to your rack.
You're not going to want to keep a roof top tent mounted forever on your roof. As the years go by it may not interest you so much and you'll get sick of it being up there.
A great roof rack though you can keep mounted on your roof "forever" (I did) because it is so useful for so many things.

Personally I'd never get a pre-built roof top tent. I slept up on my ARB rack for months camping either by pitching a normal tent on its plywood floor or just sleeping under the stars with no tent at all.
That's the best if there's no bugs or wind or heavy dew and you've got a suitable sleeping bag.

I’d highly recommend a Bowfin Cruiser rack. I’ve got the one that Patrick makes and it is sweet and made in the US of A.

Here’s a link:

Bowfin Rack

I can't see what you have linked, sorry.
Sorry, hopefully this one works:
Raptor rooftop tent
71qAfpeGvgL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

71U5daII8CL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

71xNTbfa20L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I've used it several times and do like it. It's extremely easy to set up and pretty quick to put away. Getting the cover on it with the strong stretch band that is integrated into the perimeter is the hardest part. I've been on some very bumpy stuff, even through trees, all kinds of stuff, and no issues. It's a couple hundred more now than when I bought it, but I still think it's a good deal. It is a typical 2 person rating though. 2 people can sleep in it but they better like each other.

I love my Gamiviti... He has lots of options for his racks, and I got exactly what I wanted. Low profile, and stout enough for my RTT. Optional expo bars flipped down leave room for accessories and an awning in the future.
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1987.jpg

FrontRunner and GFC superlite. Have both and love it. But in hindsight I wish i would just done frontrunner crossbars instead of the full rack.
41BA6C94-5EFE-4DAC-9ACD-4EFE32AEDCDC.jpeg
26F9B996-6A10-42C4-8BBF-F90D84B65070.jpeg
FE1D71E5-CA7E-4E01-AA11-9694B04DEC94.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom