Roof rack removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JayDoc

boop/bop/beep
Threads
Somewhere between Manhattan and Lawrence.
I doubt this rack is factory so maybe this isn't a 60 specific question but how do you remove this?

It looks like a reverse rivet.
Would cutting off the top post be enough or would I need to get between the base and ceiling?

IMG_20210730_213344140.jpg

IMG_20210730_213348309.jpg

Regardless of how it's ultimately removed, there's going to be a hole in the roof at the end. It looks like there's enough thread on those studs to get two nuts screwed on.
One possible method could be to screw on two nuts then try to crank the stud free. No guarantees of course.
If that method fails, then grind off the studs and try to pry off the mounting foot. No guarantees there either.
If that method fails, you could try drilling a new hole down through the ground off flat stud to mangle the stud to allow it to break free. Once again, no guarantees.
That rack is definitely not Toyota's and whoever installed it is an idiot

that looks like it’s been riveted on? are those rivets or threaded studs? it’s a little hard to tell from the photo but doesn’t look anything like the stock rack i had on my 62 (canadian truck)

It seems that whoever installed that used some kind of threaded rivet system where you can install a threaded stud for high strength applications where you only have access to one side. Were there nuts on those threaded shafts holding the rack down? I bet there’s something like this going on under the roof...
63247130-FF1C-4708-94EE-EF579FA72028.png
09E1228F-5F97-4272-9C39-418C3316091E.png

Try to remove the threaded stud with vice grips. If they don’t budge cut them flush and then drill them out carefully so you don’t mess up the roof any more. Creep up in bit sizes until you get it to break free if you have to. Don’t force it. Let the drill do the work.

Here's what I got out.
Looks like a type of rivet but I've not seen this type before.
IMG_20210801_140106764.jpg

Tried to coax it out but ultimately had to yank them out. I'm fixing rust and patching holes right now so what's a few more?

Here's what I got out.
Looks like a type of rivet but I've not seen this type before.
View attachment 2747668

Tried to coax it out but ultimately had to yank them out. I'm fixing rust and patching holes right now so what's a few more?
lol that rivet is waaaaaaaaay too long for that application! That was a stud rivet. It was probably suppose to be used on 1/2” metal of some sort.

lol that rivet is waaaaaaaaay too long for that application! That was a stud rivet. It was probably suppose to be used on 1/2” metal of some sort.
Since they sandwiched the rack foot and the roof with the rivet part, it was probably thick enough. The stud is a red herring. If there were nuts on the stud, they were not holding anything. They probably used the stud style because the stud would seal the hole. A typical pop rivet has a through hole, and the threaded insert shown above also is not sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom