Roof Rack or Sunroof Drain leak?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, I'm nearing the end of my rope :bang: chasing a pretty sizable leak coming from somewhere in my roofline. I am getting leaks from around the same locations on both sides (pics from passenger). I have a Prinsu rack installed (twice) and have sealed them with Permatex ultimate black.

So far I've:
  • Used trimmer line to clean the sunroof drains
  • Resealed the two front roof rack bolts
  • Completely removed the roof rack and resealed the openings around the roof rack spacers and around the bolt holes
Next plans:
  • Ask Mud for help 🙏
  • Remove the rack (once again) and use a different type of silicone RTV sealant on the spacers and around the holes
  • Use non-hardening caulk in the bolt holes to make a water-tight seal for the bolts
  • If the above fails, remove the headliner to pinpoint the leak
  • ????
Any and all help, suggestions, or comments to chasing down and stopping this leak would be greatly appreciated! I want to feel confident in driving my 100 in the rain again

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Try some gaffer (fancy duct) -tape like the black Gorrilla tape.

Tape over the entire gasket of the moonroof & see if that dries out.

-If it does, you where the evil eye & your next project is.

That area is likely to be the holes from the roof rack base. I use clear silicone in the bolt holes then I put a gob of it surrounding the spacer things to seal it. First install I had some leaks but after putting more silicone the leak hasn’t come back in over a year

I have had great success with a product called Sure Seal. It is an adhesive sealant which is OEM approved by the auto manufacturers and is made by The Dominion Sure Seal Group, www.dominionsureseal.com. I purchase it at my local professional automotive paint store. They recommended it as their best product for my FJ 40 top on the perimeter seam where the fiberglass top seals against the metal lip and it holds up well and, I believe, much longer than silicone based caulks.

Another product worth investigating was recommended to me by a roofer as a better alternative for sealing gutters than silicone. I have found it to be very durable. It is Master Seal NP125 manufactured by BASF.

Another product that seems compelling is Dicor lap sealant, available at RV stores, Amazon, etc. It is self leveling and is highly used for sealing seams in RV roofs and has proven to be very durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom