roof rack maximum weight on gutters (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see most people are attaching their roof baskets utilizing gutter mounts, my question is how much weight do you guys feel comfortable putting up there? I ask because I am looking at a roof top tent that sleeps four and weighs 160#. between the roof basket, my self, wife, and 2 small kids the weight is adding up. ideally we would have kids sleep in the car and the adults would sleep in the tent or the other way around. just not sure how much those gutters will hold. I have also looked into a cargo trailer but then the cost starts to get outa control.

This pops up every week or so.

It'll be fine with a family of 4.

If it's a full-size rack and you want to put four people and a tent up there, use at least four stout mounts per side. The gutters will hold fine, but you want to spread the load.

It would also be a good time to redo the gutter seam sealer so you don't get water in the roof and cause rust.

Great replies. Thanks for the link. I feel better knowing others have tested the limits so I don't have to.

If it's a full-size rack and you want to put four people and a tent up there, use at least four stout mounts per side. The gutters will hold fine, but you want to spread the load.

It would also be a good time to redo the gutter seam sealer so you don't get water in the roof and cause rust.

Is there a thread that goes over how to do this, and what type of sealer to use?

Is there a thread that goes over how to do this, and what type of sealer to use?

Yes...I recall someone posting up a thread or in a thread about re-doing the seam-sealer ...etc in the roof gutter, you'll have to search around for it, I would post it but I don't know exactly where it is..but I do recall reading it.

Not sure about other Conferr owners but i bought my conferr rack used and it came with the stock risers/ towers. The whole rack felt solid and sturdy. I went on a mellow off road trip and the whole thing buckled first few miles in!
I didn't have much on the rack maybe 150 pounds tops: waffle boards, shovel, tent, chairs, 5 gallon tank of fuel and some fire wood. Luckily I had plenty of space inside. So i unloaded everything and continued on. No damage to the roof thank God.

When i got home, i upgraded the aluminum towers ( i think) to steel powder coated ones.
IMG_20160419_184323.jpg

I've never seen stamped thin metal confer mounts

Thanks for all the replys.Truly amazing the gutters can support so much weight. Going to order a tent tomorrow. adventure sole "echo g". Not sure what I'm going to do for a rack/Basket just yet, I'll probably have to have one fabricated locally as shipping to alaska is killing me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom