Roof Rack Load Limits : On-Road vs Off-Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess this belongs here. 2016+ rail attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.36.54 PM.png

Picking up a dead convo:

I would guess deloading is based on the side to side shear momentum generated is amplified by the the arc height.
The more lateral distance traveled the greater the the acceleration forces generated up there.
Im sure somewhere in the math square this mass, cube this velocity... Someone here help me out...

Another thing i keep bringing up:

Im fairly certain the vehicle roof needs to support the weight of the vehicle.
Im not about to read all this latin talk. But from a skimming of a google search at least 1.5x curb weight is in the code / law book.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.54.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.58.19 PM.png

Loaded the right way you might could carry a tesla. LOL

I was a little nervous about weight even though I'll probably never overload the capacity. I use an Ironman tent and awning. I ordered my Gamiviti expo ++ with the extra towers so the load is spread out more. Figured it couldn't hurt to spread it out over four towers on each side.

I guess this belongs here. 2016+ rail attachments:View attachment 2893674.

Picking up a dead convo:

I would guess deloading is based on the side to side shear momentum generated is amplified by the the arc height.
The more lateral distance traveled the greater the the acceleration forces generated up there.
Im sure somewhere in the math square this mass, cube this velocity... Someone here help me out...

Im not about to read all this latin talk. But from a skimming of a google search at least 1.5x curb weight is in the code / law book.

View attachment 2893694
View attachment 2893696

Yes, the roof will easily support another land cruiser. The issue will be CG, sheet metal deformation, rack failure, or most likely mount/thread failure.

Don't overthink it. Use good judgement and have fun!

I guess this belongs here. 2016+ rail attachments:View attachment 2893674.

Picking up a dead convo:

View attachment 2893694
View attachment 2893696

This is true, but it does not need to hold that load without deformation (5 inch collapse permitted) or totaling the vehicle. I suspect that the 200 Kg dynamic rack limit is not so much a structural issue, but rather based on safe roll limits of the vehicle due to the higher cg. If structural, then this dynamic loading could be as high as 80% yield strength of the support structure. static loading allowable would then be 60% yield. This 1/3 allowable increase is for or dynamic effects per ASD Steel Construction Code (the inverse of 1.333 is 0.75, not 0.666), so giving a static limit of 330 lbs, not 293.

Well all in all a question of the vehicle. I have seen in North Africa in the worst terrain already 200s, 78s, Hilux (and VW Golf) have driven around with pleasure times roughly estimated 500-600kg on the roof and they will still do that today.
And let's be honest. He would be the first guy I've ever heard of that ripped out the roof rack.

So would installing an ikamper be okay with the factory roof rail system?
maybe but I would personally head for an aftermarket roof rail that uses all four mounting points on each side instead of the three that the factory rail uses (btw impressive that Toyota was probably thinking about this..)

So would installing an ikamper be okay with the factory roof rail system?

Yes, sorta. There's some complexity here as it's not a drop in solution.

The side rails are certainly up to the job. The cross rails tend to be a bit flexy. They won't break, but it'll have more flutter and movement in freeway and off-roading than most would like. I run 4x stock cross rails with my LC factory rack. It has seen hard baja running and hundreds of miles of off-roading. I also have my full family of 4 sleeping in it.

There's a couple other hurdles. The factory side rail is curved in profile so 4 cross bars won't be on the same plane. Also the iKamper bracket are too tall and will hit the roof without modification.

This thread helps work through those issues. Might be easier to get aftermarket cross rails.

1702320129143.png

Yes, sorta. There's some complexity here as it's not a drop in solution.

The side rails are certainly up to the job. The cross rails tend to be a bit flexy. They won't break, but it'll have more flutter and movement in freeway and off-roading than most would like. I run 4x stock cross rails with my LC factory rack. It has seen hard baja running and hundreds of miles of off-roading. I also have my full family of 4 sleeping in it.

There's a couple other hurdles. The factory side rail is curved in profile so 4 cross bars won't be on the same plane. Also the iKamper bracket are too tall and will hit the roof without modification.

This thread helps work through those issues. Might be easier to get aftermarket cross rails.

View attachment 3504568
Thank you for the detailed reply . I hate to spend where unnecessary. I appreciate the insight on your setup

Thank you so much
I’ll also add. I’m in Alaska and been on the Dalton, McCarthy road, and top of the world highway multiple times with this set up. The picture is the only road accessible park campground at Gates of the arctic national park. ~80 miles above the arctic circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom