Roof Rack Identification Attempt - I am smitten!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents - I have seen similar threads in the past with a success rate within the 50% range. I have been working my ass off on my 72' 40 since the fall with small projects like disc brakes all the way around, mini truck power steering mod, new fuel system (including tank), bucket seat upgrade - and the list goes on.

I want to get her back out on the road for the summer and do some serious camping (hunting) with my 7 & 10 year old boys. That means gear and a need to carry it outside the vehicle. I have done the research on the net with aftermarket roof racks like DiamondRax, Wilderness, ARB and Gobi. While these look like great products - none of them really got me jazzed with respect to the asthetic vision I have in my noggin. That prompted me to search Google for FJ40 roof rack pictures and scroll through countless pages until I came across the FJ pictured below. For whatever reason, I found this rack (and the 4 rain gutter mounts) pleasing to the eye.

With all that said - anyone out there in the abyss want to take a guess as to where this beauty came from.

Thanks!! Mark

208c08eb3e964c772a034d3f2fa0fb6a.jpg

I think that might be a Wilderness roof rack, but for my money I would have @TRAIL TAILOR build one for me custom. Attached is a picture of my wilderness rack on my '72. I like the lower profile of this rack vs the one you posted. I'm not sure what the higher sides would offer...

I would also offer the suggestion of having the feet attach to a gutter rail that runs the length of the hard top and spreads the load over the entire gutter and not focusing it on the footprint of each foot.

IMG_20181010_142330.jpg

Yes it is a Garvin Wilderness 6” tall rack using 8 Quick-N-Easy drip rail mounts. Also looks like it has an expanded metal floor added to the rack. Most full size Wilderness racks on FJ40s are 60” X 66”.

This is the best I could find as an example. I remember that ARB and some other companies would make a full length rail that the feet were either permanently (welded) or bolted to that sat in the gutter and ran the full length of the rack...

The outside clamp was the same as usual, so a shearing force would pull at just that area, but downward force would be spread along the whole gutter and not just the foot locations...

arb-3800050m.jpg

I guess you could have a length of folded steel that the feet could fit into that would do the same thing.... No bolting or welding required. Plus you could position the rack how you want and not be limited to the curvature of the rail...

Gents - I have seen similar threads in the past with a success rate within the 50% range. I have been working my ass off on my 72' 40 since the fall with small projects like disc brakes all the way around, mini truck power steering mod, new fuel system (including tank), bucket seat upgrade - and the list goes on.

I want to get her back out on the road for the summer and do some serious camping (hunting) with my 7 & 10 year old boys. That means gear and a need to carry it outside the vehicle. I have done the research on the net with aftermarket roof racks like DiamondRax, Wilderness, ARB and Gobi. While these look like great products - none of them really got me jazzed with respect to the asthetic vision I have in my noggin. That prompted me to search Google for FJ40 roof rack pictures and scroll through countless pages until I came across the FJ pictured below. For whatever reason, I found this rack (and the 4 rain gutter mounts) pleasing to the eye.

With all that said - anyone out there in the abyss want to take a guess as to where this beauty came from.

Thanks!! Mark

208c08eb3e964c772a034d3f2fa0fb6a.jpg
I thought those were some killer lights on the front of the rack but then I realized they are attached to the light pole behind it, LOL

Thanks @BreckenridgeCruiser for the picture. I'm at the point of redoing my roof and I have a Conferr rack (that looks like Tancruiser's :)), but I need new gutter mounts.....I was kicking it around in my head what would work best along with the self leveling seam sealer I plan on using in the gutter.

I've been looking at @TRAIL TAILOR gutter mounts....curious what a builder thinks about spreading out the weight distribution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom