Roof rack for Rooftop Tent on 40…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I want to mount a rooftop tent on the 40. I am looking for a gutter style rack much like what Bowfin Cruisers sells. I have seen their roof rack for the 80 Series and it is very stout. I have reached out to Bowfin a few times with no response 🙄. Anyone know if they are still in business? Or another company making that style rack? Input appreciated 👍

Pm’d ya

thanks

Personally I would re-consider your desire for a roof top tent, I don't think the gutter/roof structure is optimal for the weight of a couple of people and gear rolling around up there. Look into how many are having issues with leaking roofs without even roof racks installed.

Personally I would re-consider your desire for a roof top tent, I don't think the gutter/roof structure is optimal for the weight of a couple of people and gear rolling around up there. Look into how many are having issues with leaking roofs without even roof racks installed.
Seen many who have these roof racks/ tents with no issues. Confer racks have been around for ages and used in heavy duty service. 40s are not water tight to begin with.

A full rack would be a overkill because the tent would cover most of it. All you need is a couple of cross rails mounted to a con-ferr style gutter mount.

I've never had issues with a RTT damaging my gutter, but the extra weight up there is very noticeable. Combined with a short wheelbase and high COG, it makes an already poor handling vehicle even worse.

Once you are approaching 60 years of age you will begin to have prostate issues and wish your tent was on the ground unless you use a trucker bomb to pee in.

The Bowfin rack is by far the nicest looking IMO. It's very sleek and really low profile. I'd highly recommend Patrick and his racks.

20210801_162934.jpg

20210803_123309.jpg

Once you are approaching 60 years of age you will begin to have prostate issues and wish your tent was on the ground unless you use a trucker bomb to pee in.
I hear a pee bottle exists. 😁

What are the odds that you would catch someone in the middle of being ejected out the back of a 40?

!!!!

Good question, I didn't even notice that. My dad must have been hopping out for some reason.

I also strongly advise against putting a roof top tent on a 40.
I had one on my 80 and I absolutely hated what it did to the handling, im thinking it would be even worse on a short wheel base.

It only lasted a year and I sold it.

I wouldn't be real comfortable either with all that weight hanging off the old gutters.
But each to their own

Last edited:
I also strongly advise against not putting a roof top tent on a 40.
Assuming the ‘not’ was a mistype, I wouldn’t put a RTT on a 40 either. If you’ve lifted your 40, even more so. I do have one for my 80, but it’s only on top when I’m going to use it. I personally wouldn’t DD a rig with a RTT.

Assuming the ‘not’ was a mistype, I wouldn’t put a RTT on a 40 either. If you’ve lifted your 40, even more so. I do have one for my 80, but it’s only on top when I’m going to use it. I personally wouldn’t DD a rig with a RTT.

Haha thanks, I got rid of the not.
You assumed right, no roof top tents!

Well Tom, you may not have asked for an opinion poll, but you sure got one!😛

To answer your original question, I’d have to wonder if Jason over at Trailtailor has something. Jason’s no slouch.

Now as for my opinion 😛 count me with the nays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom