Roof Rack for Overlanding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Gang,
I am considering getting a roof rack, thinking I may need to load the top when going camping/cruising and taking the big dogs in truck. I want to leave the existing factory roof rack intact but not load it up. Any suggestions/experience? I see the Baja Racks are on sale, so may get one of those. But buying pre-enjoyed is fine by me too. Thank you.

When I need to go to the roof (which I prefer to never do), I'll run a Yakima soft bag with my factory rack on the 4Runner.
It's (mostly) waterproof, can handle odd shapes (I used to stuff a side-by-side twin stroller in it), easy to strap on/take off, stores easily when not in use, and since we're all responsible adults who never put anything really heavy up that high, the cheesy little cross-members that sit directly on the roof provide sufficient support.

While, I like the big name brand, i'll be making my own J-moose one when the time comes for me. Check ou the build plan on
http://www.wildyoats.com/the_j-rack.htm

Can be done cheaper than that now and is very light.... which is good for taking it off if needed.

Other than that if you aren't loading too much then Yakima load bars and some kelty style bags can work pretty well

Think about if you want to leave something on the roof all the time or not. Also consider that anything bolted to the factory rails will be that much taller.

I'd be concerned about anything mounted to the factory rails becoming a projectile in the event of a sudden stop/impact. The 80 roof rack mounts are known weak points and are commonly rusted out. A gutter mounted rack is capable of more load capacity if needed, but it'll obviously weigh a bit more than some load bars. Load bars make it easy to add attachments for bikes, skis, etc, though.

A rack like Rafael has and some Quik-N-Easy brand mounts can make for a lightweight, fairly easy to remove option. It's even better if you have a garage where you can rig a hoist to lift and store it right off the truck.

Make sure you have garage entry clearance for whichever option you choose if that's important. And say goodbye to many parking decks around CLT...they love their 6'6" around here.

...via IH8MUD app

I can't weld cheeet, so that won't work for me. I have the biggest car top clam shells from Sears, use them on vacation (got 2 of those) to carry my wife's luggage and shoes. Those things last forever and are rain proof too.

Was thinking about a gutter mount, home garage is not an issue as I park outside. Would only put it on a few times a year when I would do any trips with dogs, no need to have high speed on/off.

Last edited:
jeremy has one on his 80 he is going to sell. contact him and see.
@CharlestonG8R .
we are going to take it off before we head out to gsmtr

I just ordered this one. Bowfin Cruisers | Michigan, USA It is a lightweight, low profile, extruded anodized aluminum, gutter-mounted rack. It is very similar to the old Prinsu rack, which has undergone a change of ownership and, I believe, not taking any orders. The factory rack has to be removed in order to install. From what I hear, it's about the same overall height as the factory rack. The seller is a long time mud member, very professional and there are tons of great reviews here on MUD.

Just saw it, that’s a very good looking one, and nice side supports. And price makes it very competitive.

I just ordered this one. Bowfin Cruisers | Michigan, USA It is a lightweight, low profile, extruded anodized aluminum, gutter-mounted rack. It is very similar to the old Prinsu rack, which has undergone a change of ownership and, I believe, not taking any orders. The factory rack has to be removed in order to install. From what I hear, it's about the same overall height as the factory rack. The seller is a long time mud member, very professional and there are tons of great reviews here on MUD.

Must stay away from @roadstr6 , he's an expensive person to be around...white 80 (check), lift (check), big tires (check), winch (check), lockers (not checked), slee shortbus bumper (not checked), bowfin rack (not checked)....... Those last three not checked are spendybits. LOL

For what’s it worth, I am absolutely thrilled with my Prinsu roof rack. It is low profile, strong, and IMO looks cool too. It has allowed me to carry our two kayaks side by side, our RTT, or 4 insanely heavy 10ft+ long 6x6 antique barn posts on it when needed (lord only knows how much weight that was). I did remove the original roof rack prior to install but I left the factory roof rails that run front to back down the middle of the roof.

Assuming the Bowfin is of the same build quality I think you’ll be pretty happy with the purchase. They look nearly identical at first glance.

Must stay away from @roadstr6 , he's an expensive person to be around...white 80 (check), lift (check), big tires (check), winch (check), lockers (not checked), slee shortbus bumper (not checked), bowfin rack (not checked)....... Those last three not checked are spendybits. LOL

I always cheap out on my cruiser builds. 40 and 60 were both built on serious shoestring budgets. I probably have less $ in both those trucks than most folks have in one. Most club members know me for the cheap ass penny pincher that I am. That's why I get responses like this
internet-memes-fetch-my-mind-its-blown-away.jpg

when I post up a new spendybit purchase. It's not like me to do that. However, I am treating myself on this 80 build because I had to sell my motorcycle to do it. After 14 years of ownership I miss my bike so, damn it all, I'm spending every penny of the proceeds on this 80! Once the money is gone (won't be long), it's back to being a cheap ass for me.

Last edited:
We ALL want to be Dave when we grow up.

Dude, in right there with ya. my midlife crises are still less than 15k together (teardrop and my project 80). thats less than some folks have from the transfer case out to the lugnuts. most of that is in the teardrop. lol

And im ok with that lol

Last edited:
I like the clips on that one better than mine.

I like the clips on that one better than mine.
I think they are pretty slick. Just a cam latch covered with a hinged plate. A button cap allen screw locks it down and prevents someone from unlatching and walking off with your junk, or accidental tree limb unlatching.

Gang,
I am considering getting a roof rack, thinking I may need to load the top when going camping/cruising and taking the big dogs in truck. I want to leave the existing factory roof rack intact but not load it up. Any suggestions/experience? I see the Baja Racks are on sale, so may get one of those. But buying pre-enjoyed is fine by me too. Thank you.

@Izzyandsue check out Gamiviti. They make a wide array of racks and rack systems for the 80, 100, 120, and 200 series. You have a bunch of different choices for set up. They also have low-profile and standard expo style racks.

@Izzyandsue check out Gamiviti. They make a wide array of racks and rack systems for the 80, 100, 120, and 200 series. You have a bunch of different choices for set up. They also have low-profile and standard expo style racks.

If you have any questions about their racks you can shoot Tim a PM @nakman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom