Roof rack- cross bars or expanded metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCEd

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to add additional crossbars or some form of mesh/expanded metal to the roof rack. Pro's con's ?

rack1.jpg

What type of load are you expecting to carry? Load capacity means heavier or lighter materials that could be used. Simple plywood could be your answer.

What type of load are you expecting to carry? Load capacity means heavier or lighter materials that could be used. Simple plywood could be your answer.

Nothing heavy, more like soft luggage/bags etc. Plus wanting to have it look complete, as is it looks non-functional.

Nothing heavy, more like soft luggage/bags etc. Plus wanting to have it look complete, as is it looks non-functional.

I really like the look of expanded metal. It's light, but still pretty strong. It won't really hold water or snow and will let you put smaller stuff on, unlike the larger spacing of crossbars.

I really like the look of expanded metal. It's light, but still pretty strong. It won't really hold water or snow and will let you put smaller stuff on, unlike the larger spacing of crossbars.
And an infinite amount of tie down points

How about expanded aluminum as it will keep the weight down. The less weight up high the better.

Try to find expanded aluminum or perforated aluminum... no rust stains on the cruiser after a few years. Expanded steel is fine but paint it till it drips and know you'll be doing it again in a few years to keep the rust at bay.

Think I'll go with expanded aluminum and try to keep it from rattling. Thanks, Ed

Think I'll go with expanded aluminum and try to keep it from rattling. Thanks, Ed

I'd look for a good epoxy that can bond aluminum. I think high-end enclosed trailers are usually epoxied to stop any possible rattles.

Pop rivets with washers should hold it tight. If the frame metal matches the mesh then you can weld to it and epoxy paint the result.

To line a ConFerr rack, I used the floor of an old full size pickup truck bed liner. Tough thick polyethylene. No painting, no corrosion, lightweight, ribbed (channels water). Free, most of the time, if you look on Craigslist.

To line a ConFerr rack, I used the floor of an old full size pickup truck bed liner. Tough thick polyethylene. No painting, no corrosion, lightweight, ribbed (channels water). Free, most of the time, if you look on Craigslist.

Dang Steve, that's smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom