roof rack choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a roof rack for camping trips. Nothing extreme, mostly backcountry roads, carrying up to about 200 lbs of bulky stuff.
I have a sunroof, so I need something about 5 feet long and 4 1/2 to 5 feet wide. (This rules out the ARB racks at Cruiser Outfitters, which are either too short or too long.)
So it looks like my choices are the old Con-Ferr porthole, Defender, Wilderness, or Surco Safari. (The Safari is aluminum and the least expensive, but will it hold up?)
Anyone have bad experiences with any of these?

I've got roof rack plans if you want

Can you weld or have access to a welder?
I made my own and have plans that you can use if you want. You just need to customize to the length you want. I hold up to 700 lbs on it with no problems.

Here's a pic of the rack
Molly 017.jpg

mainlander's is nicer than mine, but I made my own as well... no pics right now, but it can be done pretty easy. or if you're not into that, you could get one made custom for less than some of the high-end ones...

found one, although it's not very clear either...

newtires.jpg

Can you weld or have access to a welder?
I made my own and have plans that you can use if you want. You just need to customize to the length you want. I hold up to 700 lbs on it with no problems.

Here's a pic of the rack

can you show a pic of the rack feet, or how you attached it to the gutter channel.

Sure. I certainly overbuilt the "posts" for lack of knowing what they are generally called. I basically copied the typical style out there. I do think that with such a thick material that I can load it up a little bit more. If I were to make it again the only thing I'd do different is raise it up about another 1"
molly 013.jpg
molly 015.jpg

Those African racks with the half rail sure look nice. I bet theyre as good in the wind as a rack can be... Cheaper than Hannibal, kind of..... I LOVE the awning option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom