roof "rack" bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have a roof rack on my 80 but I do have what I would call rails that have 2 T or U nuts per side, that you can slide forward and back. They are made out of aluminum (look like it) and have what look like speed nuts captured in them. My question is what bolts do I need? my experience with speed nuts is they use coarse thread bolts or screws. The diameter looks to be about 8mm, but I did not measure.

Any info will save me many trial and errors from the hardware store.

Thanks,

arndog

I don't have a roof rack on my 80 but I do have what I would call rails that have 2 T or U nuts per side, that you can slide forward and back. They are made out of aluminum (look like it) and have what look like speed nuts captured in them. My question is what bolts do I need? my experience with speed nuts is they use coarse thread bolts or screws. The diameter looks to be about 8mm, but I did not measure.

Any info will save me many trial and errors from the hardware store.

Thanks,

arndog
How would anyone here know what you have? You haven't described it well enough and thee are no pics.

Drive the truck to the hardware store, buy what you think will fit, try it. If not, lather, rinse, repeat until you get it right.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the bolts are M12 x 1.50 x 54mm

I guess depending on the hardware store you go to, if someone says "can I help you" then you are golden. You take them out and say i need bolts for the rack on top and they help you find what you need.

Where I live i grab bolts and find the ones that fit and go in and put back what i don't want and buy what I do. They don't seem to get to worried about people trying to steal 20 cent bolts.

definitely speed nuts, I think I will try and remove these and put in some riv-nuts.

roof_nuts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom