Roof rack bolts "washer" removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Installing a rack. I've already removed the OEM roof rack, but where I've put bolts to temporarily cover the holes are these semi-rigid plastic (?) washers spanning over each pair of captured nuts. They are not easy to remove, at least on mine. Advised to keep them or remove them for roof rack installation?

IMG_2126.jpg

Is it some type of foam material? If so, I would remove it. I don't recall seeing that on my 2002 when I removed the rack....

Mine did not have those. I think the roof racks were port installed and are not consistent across the board what you'll find underneath.

Mine had it, and past the initial attempt to see if it was intentionally adhered I decided to leave them in place, sealing the area thoroughly with outdoor silicone caulk.

I started to pry one of them off and found out that it appears to be some level of adhered plastic onto a thin (but quite hardened) metal underneath. My prying of these things was causing more body, hole, and gutter damage than it was worth the effort to remove. I straightened the one mangled piece I had pried open back, siliconed the hell of all surrounding areas and will live with the fact my rack is 2-3mm higher :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom