Roof mounted Tool storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcbparts.com
Was thinking about getting an aftermarket roof rack, full length with rain gutter mounts.

Removing the fact. rack

Setting up a shallow 4-5' wide truck bed type tool box, just something shallower, about 12" deep for tool and spare parts storage as well as mounting the spare on the roof.

What do you guys think about the weight up there? Im not worried about the rack holding it. I have not wheeled much and not much hardcore so im not sure about having all that weight up high throwing off the balance when I really get crawling?

I have seen a 60 with a full roof rack about 8" deep and modified ammo cans permanently affixed inside of it. It looked like a good setup for expeditions. If you do plan to go rock crawling or anything that will put you way off camber you don't want that weight on top, though. Even a spare on top will make a difference in how it behaves. Just my opinion.

:: Baja Rack ::

we got one and they hold fuel cans well. also have Hi-Lift attachments.

Howdy! a Cruiser is so heavy that the weight up on top is not much of a problem. My rig is over 7 ft at the rack, and just for giggles I carry my spare ( 80+#) up there. No prob. I have carried over 800 # on it. John

how much weight(beyond the spare) do you normally carry up there?

it will change your CG in off camber situations.

no doubt.

how much weight(beyond the spare) do you normally carry up there?
Howdy! The spare is bolted down and covered with a canvas boot to keep the sun off of it. It is there for trail runs as well as street driving. I carry tents, tables, chairs, water jugs, whatever else for camping, which sometimes involves some easy 4x4. I have also carried a lot of logs up there for community campfires. Got to have somewhere to sit and brag about 4x4 runs! I also carried 10 pieces of 20 ft long angle iron that was 2 x 2 x 1/4. They steel yard almost refused to load it up there for me. Finally the brought it out with a fork lift, and I got up on the rack and guided 5 sections onto each side. I tied them on with good racket straps, and they never moved for the 20+ miles home. John

is that a homemade rack or does someone market this superrack?

what I mean is it sounds like your rack can take a lot more abuse than most. I have a Yakima one one truck and a homemade on the other and after about 60-70 pounds the Yakima gets a little sag to it. It has been bent back into shape more than once. Kinda disappointing. if you bought yours I was curious where it was from.

Last edited:
what sags on your yakima? the basket or the crossbars? The best way to work with the yak racks is to use multiple crossbars to increase load capacity. 80s use the basic, old school gutter mount so you can find these at yard sales - i've picked up about 6 now so I can configure almost any setup, and I've found a few old school used basketcases for jerry cans and firewood. Simply putting a slab of plywood across 4 bars makes a nice platform for standing, sleeping, or lashing gear. The benefit of yak/thule is how easily you can take them off and swap parts around.

As for aftermarket EXPEDITION racks, the yaks/thules really are not in that class at all. Look to the vendors on mud that carry those - they will not 'bend' when loaded with insane weight. And the better expo racks have a full length outside rail which helps avoid hang ups on tree limbs - the yaks suck that way - they make every branch jump out in front and grab on!

Howdy! Yup, homegrown. I took my time as it was one of my first ever welding projects. All corners are gussetted and heavy beads on the welding. Took some grinding time, but it was worth it. Without the plywood floor, the whole rack only weighs about 30#. John

Howdy! a Cruiser is so heavy that the weight up on top is not much of a problem. My rig is over 7 ft at the rack, and just for giggles I carry my spare ( 80+#) up there. No prob. I have carried over 800 # on it. John

Yes,,, but, your rig has leaf springs, somewhat progressive, the results would be somewhat different in a coil spring 80.:hillbilly:

the basket gives but it is old so it is expected. I sag too when overloaded these days. gonna start a homegrown when I get the time. done a few, but I saw one on here on a bobbed 60 just the other day that was just about right, run through the body and connected to a full roll cage supported on the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom