Roof Light Wiring - Give me pictures, give me ideas! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a gland just like this for my lightbar but what if you have to remove the roof rack? With wire running from the gland to a DC connector on the roof, with the roof rack removed you will have a dangling wire. If a connector is under the gland, then you have to drop the headliner to remove the wires and you have a hole in the roof that needs to be plugged. IMO, this is not a good solution.

I've had to remove my roof rack several times for repairs and upgrades.

I used a gland just like this for my lightbar but what if you have to remove the roof rack? With wire running from the gland to a DC connector on the roof, with the roof rack removed you will have a dangling wire. If a connector is under the gland, then you have to drop the headliner to remove the wires and you have a hole in the roof that needs to be plugged. IMO, this is not a good solution.

I've had to remove my roof rack several times for repairs and upgrades.
Rogan's has a nice plug set up as well for those who take the rack off for storage often.

How much was this Cruiser? That's not a clean job IMO.

1611719601099.png

I used these heyco grommets utilizing the rear holes from port installed roof rack that I removed. If I remember I needed a step drill to enlarge the holes slightly. I put some rtv on the heycos and threaded them in. I found some black exterior power cord by the foot and decided to use that as it is round and made a watertight seal when threading the compression nut back on top of the grommet. The only odd thing is having a 3rd wire in the cord that is unused with using it in a 12v application.

240EEB17-82B4-480C-9EBF-C3DDDECABBDE.jpeg

5634E919-D26F-497D-829F-4C48D9907C2C.png

Last edited:
Those heyco grommets come in various sizes. Not positive what size I used. I could take a closer look in the morning.

The local shipyard guys recommended these:
not sure how well they'd work on a metal roof, but it is a good design, lots of differnt configs and sizes.

In most cases you don't have to cut a pre-wired plug of since the grommet has a spilt in it. Had one in my hand, they are pretty burly.

Amazon product ASIN B003D4EJLQ
I'm going to install one on the boat for a pass through in the console and see how it works....but not til spring.

in the meantime, I'm working on my own version of this for temp power to the rack for work lights at the campsite. (basically a 12v power outlet on the rack with an extension cord to a socket in the truck....(about a $40-$50 set up)

Take look at cannon connectors. I "think" @NLXTACY used one on one of his builds and like the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom