Roof leak UPDATE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found the kink in my drain hose - the front drivers side that runs down the A-pillar into the kick panel area. There are actually 3 wiring harnesses crammed into a space about 2.5 x 3.5 inches with maybe 50 wires going in and out. The drain hose wasn't kinked as much as compressed by the wiring harnesses crammed in there. Once I pulled them all out, water flows through like crazy. It feels like the end of the hose is loose down in the rocker panel (not attached like the read as it passes into the rear wheel well.
Any ideas about keeping the drain from being recompressed as I try to cram all the wires back into the little space Toyota so kindly provided for them to live? ???
So far definitely a 1 :banana: job.
thanks
Jay

put in a harder wall hose?
e

Maybe there is something that you can put around the hose to protect it from being bend.

Mike

I thought about that but don't really want to get to the top of the A pillar and so far haven't had to remove the headliner or anything else except the kick panel. I am cannibalising a 3 inch section from an old pole lamp (light weight metal tube) and am gonna try to fit it over the end of the drain hose and run it up to where the kink occurs - then electric tape it to the original hose and try to stuff the hose and all the wires back into the hole.
more later.
:D
Jay

What's the approx diameter of the drain tube? I was thinking you could shield it with a product called "cord hider" that is used to cover up audio component cords for home theatre. (not the ribbed stuff). It's stiff and has a split down the side which would allow it to go over the tube without having to disconnect the tube at either end. Also easy to cut to size. Anyway, just mi dos centavos idea for a SW MO redneck fix.

Also- any comments regarding the "stiff" and "ribbed" portion of this reply have already been considered :)

How about cutting away the affected section and replacing it with copper tubing and couple of hose clamps?

Just a thought, could the introduction of metalic materials to this area cause a problem in the future? (shorted wires)

I'm with Eduardo and MoJ. I wouldn't put a metal pipe in there as you'll either have rattles or increased abrasion. MoJ's suggestion sounds good.
-B-

I feel pretty good about my first fix as a newbie 80 owner. I did go with the metal tube to protect the plastic drain pipe from being recompressed. Even had a hard rain last night both while driving and after I got home - no sign of any water at all.
Not too concerned about abrasion from the cut edges as I sanded them on a grinding whell then covered with electric tape. As for as short circuits - that whole space is METAL :doh: ! So hopefully that isn't an issue.
Still planning to get new tires this week or next - have been planning on Bridgestone dueler AT's - revo or non ($40 diff.); but looking at the Slee sight - the Goodyear MT sure look cool - but I except they are considerably rougher as a Daily Driver.?

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom