Roof color suggestions for a dark green 80...battleship gray maybe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dark green 94 FJ80 has some serious paint fade on the roof. No rust yet but I need to put something up there or I might have rust soon. I don't think I cam match it to the factory green so i am not even going to try. I would like something lighter than might be cooler in the sun. But overall I just want something that looks OK and protects the body form rust. The obvious choice would be white like the FJ40. But I dont know how white would look with the dark green. I almost want something not so contrasting. I really like the Toyota factory gray on the old FJ40 wheels, basically a battleship gray. I don't know how it would look with the dark emerald green. Any ideas or suggestions? Any opinions of white, off white, battleship gray or any others? I am not sure i would use paint or something like a roll on like Monstaline. That is up for debate as well.

I went with white, fits classic look. Still subtle as I didn't come very far down on the sides so not too noticeable looking right at it. Mine is Plasti-dip though so I can always go back.

2013-04-19_18-00-37_324.jpg
2013-06-29_13-14-56_676.jpg
IMG_20140831_134038148_HDR.jpg

I had a local paint shop mix me up a spray bomb for my dark green Lexus for about $20.00, but to paint an entire roof, I'm not sure that would be the best approach. Not sure about the Land Cruiser, but on the Lexus they used a grey colour for all the exterior plastic moulding as seen above in 92LXAZ pics. The white looks nice, but personally I think grey would be better.

image.jpg

i went with flat black on mine, but it's faded and i didn't do a good enough job prepping before painting. so a redo is in my future, probably going to go semi gloss or even gloss black.

The further South you live, the lighter color I'd go - personally. Just to keep the heat off - that white top in AZ looks classy too - it does remind you of a 55 series Landcruiser, and those the green/white & blue/white are what pop to mind right off - and white is a lock, custom tint will either look 'bang on' or else like something that forcefully came out of a baby !!!

Here's Plasti dip white.. Until I get the truck resprayed a different color..however would I Plasti dip the roof again? No way in hell it's going to be a pita to take off
A43BAE3E-2DE0-4095-80D7-8EF366D01A4B_zpsww0v10et.jpg

Here's Plasti dip white.. Until I get the truck resprayed a different color..however would I Plasti dip the roof again? No way in hell it's going to be a pita to take off
A43BAE3E-2DE0-4095-80D7-8EF366D01A4B_zpsww0v10et.jpg

That looks nice. Do you have more pictures at different angles? Would you do anything other than paint? I am considering Monstaline or something like that. My problem is that is I ever decide to paint it all I don't know how hard it would be to remove.

The 80s roof line is terribly difficult to have good symmetry of course I did this in 1 day I could have spent more taping and measuring but I think it came out o.k. For just eyeing. I'm going to let the body shop have fun taking it off..the only issue is with the roof rack bars I have for kayaks it has peeled the Plasti dip along with under the gutters where the doors close.
I went for Plasti dip since I know it can be removed, liner I'm not sure
eccecaf9aed28716934fecd43178c87c_zpsd1092516.jpg

dddb304d689662fade223e19247451fe_zpsdc43bfee.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409535006.734476.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409535030.234252.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409535055.235918.jpg

It's kinda hard to see the liner on the roof from the last two pics. It's monsta-lined.
It's so bright that if you climb up on the bumper to look at it you will be temporarily blinded.

what color monstaline is it? do you remember the name? what kind of prepwork and how is it holding up?

I'm doing a light tan with my sage next week. I think white or grey would work well for the green

I did the roof of my old 92 ( tan gold color) and it was a huge help on temps plus it looked great. The key is prep and lots of MEK to get a good bond. A gallon will do three coats and a hood if so inclined.....

Look forward to pics. Will post mine next weekend

Cheers

what color monstaline is it? do you remember the name? what kind of prepwork and how is it holding up?

Looks like it's white:grinpimp: ....They have a pretty detailed web site and there's a Monstaliner thread in the paint section here...that shows the prep that others have done.
I used white on the nose box of my trailer and haul it back to Va from AZ without a mark. Monstaliner on the roof should hold up for many years

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/monstaliner-bedliner.485502/

http://www.monstaliner.com/

Cygnus white - classic color for a 40 or 55 look - or that FJC roof white

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom