Roof Bike rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked into this recently and Thule and Yakima both have universal mounts that should work but after talking to a representative we decided that yes it would work but it would be such a huge pain getting them on and off the roof due to the height that it wasn't really worth it
Also with the height I was worried about clearance issues around school so I am dealing with a receiver hitch
Just some things to keep in mind

...via IH8MUD app

I looked into this recently and Thule and Yakima both have universal mounts that should work but after talking to a representative we decided that yes it would work but it would be such a huge pain getting them on and off the roof due to the height that it wasn't really worth it
Also with the height I was worried about clearance issues around school so I am dealing with a receiver hitch
Just some things to keep in mind

...via IH8MUD app

hey thats a reason to get those slee rock sliders with the steps :)

I hate those hitch mount racks. Right now I have a wide chunk of wood with a fork block mounted on it and i just roll the seats up.

These would work well with the OEM cross bars: http://www.rockymounts.com/tierod_bike_rack_p/1012.htm

Ill be watching c list for one of those... Was hoping to see someone elses setup before I went for one

I had two of those rockymounts when I had my 3rd gen 4R and the stock cross bars. They work really well, Rockymount makes some nice stuff. Check out the CO craigslist, they are made there and might be easier to find used out that way.
IMG_2776.JPG

Yea, I get it.

Have had a hitch mount for years, but still need to get something for the Front Runner when I need it.

Anyway, w/ factory bars, you should be able to load a Yakima Forklift. Other options as well.

forklift-1.jpg

A Thule Circuit 526 looks like it would work as well.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408406047.772314.jpg

The Girklift works great on the factory rack. I'm 6'6"and withe the 33" tire and 3" lift,still need to climb on the rear tire to attach the back section. So keep that in mind.

...via IH8MUD app

I use Thule on all mine. They make a mount that attaches to the factory side rails and then everything else is the same, so I use them on all my vehicles. I mount four bikes upright with the wheels attached on the roof of the 100. A ladder is helpful - I travel with a short 2 foot aluminum step ladder. Then you need to be sure you can handle military pressing a bicycle. A tray style hitch rack is the best, but expensive and not useful when towing.

Watch out for bank and carryout drive thru window clearances though!

Yakima's RailGrabs work on the 100. I had a Yakima rack system with Thule Echelon fork-mount trays on the roof for almost 4 years... up until last week. I just got tired of hunting for parking decks with enough clearance. It also got tough to put 4 bikes up there - 29ers back wheels interfere with the handle bar of the bike beside (assuming you're staggering the racks). And, the handlebars on mtn bikes went from 560mm to 800mm in the past few years. Oh, then factor in the thru-axles... I sold the rack and got a 1upUSA rack.

I hated to do it - I like the look of roof racks, and don't like the look of the receiver racks. But wow... throwing 4 mtn bikes on this weekend... sooooo much easier.

Thule Rapid crossroad 450 feet on factory rack.

P7190407.JPG

looks nice - I have been wondering how big of a pain it would be with swing outs.

Two ways around it - the first/closest tray would be under the tire on the swing-away, so you'd start with the 2nd tray - That's what I did on my CJ last week. The other - and proper fix - is to get a receiver extender, so the rack clears the tire.

The entire rack - with 1-4 bikes mounted, can be dropped down to the ground. I had to do that Sunday... we'd mounted all the bike, THEN noticed I'd left the window open.

No pics with the rack on, but if it works with the 35/12.50/15 on this swing-away... it'd likely work on a 100.

I see. I always assumed, even with an extender that you would have to take bikes off to clear the swing out.

Thule makes a 4 deep, hitch rack that swings away as well. Double swing anyone?? No pictures. It's a friends setup.

...via IH8MUD app

I have one of these hitch-mounted racks on an extension. With 4 bikes (and even a couple camp chairs) hanging from it, you can tilt it down and open both swing outs on the Slee bumper. Not the easiest thing to do, but it works.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408909503.615327.jpg

Thanks for the pictures guys.... the price tag and ease of finding roof racks second hand really beats out the hitch mount option. And my current parking situation is not conducive to hitch mount (I have to back in to a tight little spot)..

BUT... i am 5'5" and its going to be a pain in the ass getting bikes up there. Ill also need to run a 15mm thru axle for the new bike im building.

Good lookin lefty!

Hardly a brochure pic... but

With just two of the trays...

Looks like we have a decent bike community on mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom