Builds Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most recent press vehicles...

2023 GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate
1675995093288.png

2023 Ram 2500 Rebel
1675995063922.png

Duplicate post copied from my thread on TW but apparently some of the pictures aren't posting so doubling up in the sake of salvaging my apparent technological incompetence.

Yukon Denali Ultimate
52680056043_fd8f411ee2_b.jpg

52679558531_200b786069_b.jpg

Ram 2500 Rebel
52679558496_2ece328b77_b.jpg

52679843199_d7a3ae7004_b.jpg

Looks good! I used to have Lightforce lights on an earlier overlander I built, but they were the incandescent bulbs.
Amber lenses never really worked for me and I don't like the color it casts on everything.

Looks good! I used to have Lightforce lights on an earlier overlander I built, but they were the incandescent bulbs.
Amber lenses never really worked for me and I don't like the color it casts on everything.
Interesting! I've found the amber to be fine so far, just needed a change. Curious to see how they compare once I test the lights with the clear lenses this week.

After the dead battery debacle I decided to finally buck up and buy a portable jump starter. Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

52692395706_653e2c8939_b.jpg

52692885138_e347f4792b_b.jpg

Even comes with a nice little carrying case
52692395726_769dd661f0_b.jpg

This will live in the toolbox in the back of the truck. It's something I hope to never need to use, but the peace of mind is worth the relatively small financial outlay (~$70).

After the dead battery debacle I decided to finally buck up and buy a portable jump starter. Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

52692395706_653e2c8939_b.jpg

52692885138_e347f4792b_b.jpg

52692395726_769dd661f0_b.jpg

This will live in the toolbox in the back of the truck. It's something I hope to never need to use, but the peace of mind is worth the relatively small financial outlay (~$70).
I've had one for a while and they are very valuable. I was actually using mine on a regular basis when I had a parasitic drain. The battery would die about every other day and had to use that to crank 'er up to get to work. Also handy for others that you may come across with a dead battery.
I've found myself far more likely to help someone with a dead battery now since I don't have to dig out cables, pull my rig either nose-to-nose or next to them, both of which are often either difficult or safety factor risky.
Now, I just pull out the little brick, hook up the + and -, let them turn over their engine. If it don't start within 10 or 15 seconds, I unplug and tell them they need to call AAA or a tow truck, wish them luck and am on my way.

I've had one for a while and they are very valuable. I was actually using mine on a regular basis when I had a parasitic drain. The battery would die about every other day and had to use that to crank 'er up to get to work. Also handy for others that you may come across with a dead battery.
I've found myself far more likely to help someone with a dead battery now since I don't have to dig out cables, pull my rig either nose-to-nose or next to them, both of which are often either difficult or safety factor risky.
Now, I just pull out the little brick, hook up the + and -, let them turn over their engine. If it don't start within 10 or 15 seconds, I unplug and tell them they need to call AAA or a tow truck, wish them luck and am on my way.
Exactly! It's a great tool to have on hand.

Got the GX out yesterday during the remnants of the storm. The Toyo A/T IIIs performed flawlessly in some slick conditions (snow, standing water, muddy unpaved roads). I also like that the Lightforces run in low-power DRL mode even when they're switched off for added visibility.

Aside from the lack of grunt (largely my own doing from the lift/bumper/tires), this thing impresses me every time I drive it.

52719009375_1f75022668_b.jpg

& a terrible picture of what was actually a beautiful sunset, a rarity here in CT this time of year
52719639695_503625b586_b.jpg

52723343436_5bba93747c_b.jpg

Apple CarPlay coming soon! I never really appreciated how valuable it is until I spent a lot of time driving newer cars. CarPlay is pretty ubiquitous in new vehicles, and while I didn't even consider it as something I wanted when I bought my GX, I've really come to like it. Grom's VLine VL2 is a plug-and-play kit that brings wireless (or wired) CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory screen/interface. It retains the steering wheel controls, too. Looking forward to bringing the GX's tech into the modern age.

Going to be installing this the first time I have a free warm Saturday. Write-up and review hopefully coming soon!

I have a Schumacher 1000A jump pack. I jumped a Camry in a parking lot with it no problem in warm weather, but it would definitely not jump a dead battery in my GX caused by a parasitic drain. Perhaps your 2000A will do it, but in my experience the smaller packs struggle with a V8 if the battery is relatively drained, even if the charger is fully charged.

I am going to upgrade to a 3,000A NOCO pack in the future. In the meantime I upgraded to a Odyssey group 34 battery for some extra capacity.

I have a Schumacher 1000A jump pack. I jumped a Camry in a parking lot with it no problem in warm weather, but it would definitely not jump a dead battery in my GX caused by a parasitic drain. Perhaps your 2000A will do it, but in my experience the smaller packs struggle with a V8 if the battery is relatively drained, even if the charger is fully charged.

I am going to upgrade to a 3,000A NOCO pack in the future. In the meantime I upgraded to a Odyssey group 34 battery for some extra capacity.
Interesting-- I'll keep holding out hope that the 2000A unit works should I need it to. Still have jumper cables in the back of the GX, just supplemented it with the jump box.

Smallest of small GX updates...

Mounted the escape/emergency tool to the underside of the center console lid for permanent ease-of-access. Always in the same place, never blocked/covered by other items in the center console, and in an unfortunate situation it's easy to find.
52728785633_bd65888a69_b.jpg

It was 55*F yesterday so gave the truck a bath, and by that I mean washed the road salt off of it and drank a beer while letting it air dry
52728560269_ff104026ed_b.jpg

In other news, a temporary toy arrived. Polaris very kindly loaned me this Scrambler XP 1000 S to ride/test/review. 89 horsepower, 55" wide, 14.5" of ground clearance, 14" of rear suspension travel, and the front diff and half shafts from the RZR XP 1000. I owned a 2013 Scrambler 850 and was loaned a Sportsman XP 1000 last year to review, but this thing should be a whole different animal.

52731038171_e7f85732df_b.jpg

52731447990_294a96df00_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom