Builds Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah we haven’t out grown the GX yet… but when we do, it’s 3rd gen sequoia time. I’m liking the idea of one of those lifted on 35s with a bumper more and more.View attachment 3215076
Have to admit Toyota is really making the Sequoia a respectable off roader, moving away from the soccer Mom look and features.

I'd be all for it if it didn't bring with it the extra weight. Twin-turbo torque down low is pretty great, but the new 2023 TRD Pro is 200 lbs heavier than the prior one-- it's 6,150 lbs! Bumper, winch, lift and tires and it's pushing 6,500 lbs. A base 2023 GX460 is 5,126 lbs. Not getting into payloads or anything, but 1,000 lbs is a huge difference that could make for a much more difficult time on the trail, forced induction engine or not...
I had a new Tundra Platinum for a full week with this power plant and it was anything but torquey. The turbo lag whether self inflicted because, Toyota, or just because that's what it is was horrendous. It wasn't a linear power band nor was it punchy. Honestly my GX460 with the pedal commander felt more immediate and linear, which is saying a lot, but it is a characteristic of the V8 engine. LOL I keep bringing back in my opinion that a plug-in hybrid system is a far superior component to add to the V6 if they are going to replace the V8 because is the idiot CAFE regs than turbos. Funny thing, that new Tundra only got 2 mpg more in the city and the same on the highway than my GX with me driving them the same on the same routes. So much for a fuel mileage improvement. Hah.

Reactions: r2m
Have to admit Toyota is really making the Sequoia a respectable off roader, moving away from the soccer Mom look and features.
Agree. I'm just disappointed in the lack of a V8 if you haven't noticed. ;)

I had a new Tundra Platinum for a full week with this power plant and it was anything but torquey. The turbo lag whether self inflicted because, Toyota, or just because that's what it is was horrendous. It wasn't a linear power band nor was it punchy. Honestly my GX460 with the pedal commander felt more immediate and linear, which is saying a lot, but it is a characteristic of the V8 engine. LOL I keep bringing back in my opinion that a plug-in hybrid system is a far superior component to add to the V6 if they are going to replace the V8 because is the idiot CAFE regs than turbos. Funny thing, that new Tundra only got 2 mpg more in the city and the same on the highway than my GX with me driving them the same on the same routes. So much for a fuel mileage improvement. Hah.
How do you like the pedal commander? It's on my long-term to-do list.

How do you like the pedal commander? It's on my long-term to-do list.
I like it for one simple reason, it kills the throttle lag off the line and when passing. When I get my GX tuned I'll likely take that off as the tune will solve that issue and then some. I'll probably sell the pedal commander at that point.

I like it for one simple reason, it kills the throttle lag off the line and when passing. When I get my GX tuned I'll likely take that off as the tune will solve that issue and then some. I'll probably sell the pedal commander at that point.
Good to hear. Let me know when you go to sell it, might be in the market.

Personally I’ve been looking forward to this new era of boosted Toyota trucks… so much easier to make extra power. There’s already mild sequoia tunes in beta that are nearing 700 ft lbs. Exciting times.

Personally I’ve been looking forward to this new era of boosted Toyota trucks… so much easier to make extra power. There’s already mild sequoia tunes in beta that are nearing 700 ft lbs. Exciting times.
My only issues with the huff 'n puff six cylinders are 1) turbo lag, 2) the exhaust note is horrible. Nothing like a V8 exhaust. (Okay with the exception of V12's, flat 12's and V16's in super cars).
For wheeling one needs low rpm torque for precise throttle control, not worrying that a turbo will spool up in a critical spot. Hence super chargers are a better forced induction method than turbo for off roading.

Last edited:
Very true on the exhaust. I’ve managed to make it sound ok on the Tacoma. A Doug thorley catless but resonated y pipe with a magnaflow resonated cat back exhaust on that one… resonators seem to be the key to avoiding drone. But it’s still nothing compared to the GX which is running a careless Urd y pipe and an mbrp cat back system. Didn’t even need resonators on that one and the sound is awesome… like a real truck.

Very true on the exhaust. I’ve managed to make it sound ok on the Tacoma. A Doug thorley catless but resonated y pipe with a magnaflow resonated cat back exhaust on that one… resonators seem to be the key to avoiding drone. But it’s still nothing compared to the GX which is running a careless Urd y pipe and an mbrp cat back system. Didn’t even need resonators on that one and the sound is awesome… like a real truck.
Have any sound clips? I totally forgot about the URD option. Also... is there an MBRP part number? I don't see them as having a kit.
Nice looking setup. Will check out the podcast
Thanks! We've had a couple of great guests on recently including @cruiseroutfit (thanks again, Kurt!)

Roody,

What is the exact height of your lift, front and rear? (If you mentioned that already I apologize, I didn't see the height mentioned but I may have skipped over it). You have yours setup with the same tires and nearly identical wheel specs as what I'm shooting for, and the height looks perfect.

Nice build.

Roody,

What is the exact height of your lift, front and rear? (If you mentioned that already I apologize, I didn't see the height mentioned but I may have skipped over it). You have yours setup with the same tires and nearly identical wheel specs as what I'm shooting for, and the height looks perfect.

Nice build.
Great question. Ironman4x4 quotes an estimated 2-3" of lift. This is the kit that's on my GX:

That's actually my truck and review on their page. The height is a happy medium for me, I'd love more ground clearance but at this height it retains very good road manners and the benefits of KDSS. And still fits in parking garages, which is an added benefit.

My only issues with the huff 'n puff six cylinders are 1) turbo lag, 2) the exhaust note is horrible. Nothing like a V8 exhaust. (Okay with the exception of V12's, flat 12's and V16's in super cars).
For wheeling one needs low rpm torque for precise throttle control, not worrying that a turbo will spool up in a critical spot. Hence super chargers are a better forced induction method than turbo for off roading.
100% this.

Only the Italians can make a V6 sound good.

Have any sound clips? I totally forgot about the URD option. Also... is there an MBRP part number? I don't see them as having a kit.

Thanks! We've had a couple of great guests on recently including @cruiseroutfit (thanks again, Kurt!)
I never did make any sound clips. I’d have to look into that. Unfortunately URD has discontinued all their y pipes, which seems to be happening more and more for all manufacturers regardless of vehicle makes. I managed to get one from the last batch which was produced last fall. Sign of the times I guess with the government we have. I heard that gas stoves are next… no joke. A sad state of affairs.

The MBRP part number is S5342, but honestly I can’t recommend it. It sounds great, but the fitment isn’t the best… it has some rattles. I’ve gone through several rounds of readjusting and I’ve got them mostly eliminated, but they are still there on occasion. I’ve been thinking about dumping it and going with a magnaflow instead. I have one of those on the Tacoma, and the quality and fitment was better.

I never did make any sound clips. I’d have to look into that. Unfortunately URD has discontinued all their y pipes, which seems to be happening more and more for all manufacturers regardless of vehicle makes. I managed to get one from the last batch which was produced last fall. Sign of the times I guess with the government we have. I heard that gas stoves are next… no joke. A sad state of affairs.

The MBRP part number is S5342, but honestly I can’t recommend it. It sounds great, but the fitment isn’t the best… it has some rattles. I’ve gone through several rounds of readjusting and I’ve got them mostly eliminated, but they are still there on occasion. I’ve been thinking about dumping it and going with a magnaflow instead. I have one of those on the Tacoma, and the quality and fitment was better.
Bummer about the URD pipe and MBRP kit. The MBRP I had on my '05 Avalanche sounded great. Have heard good things about the Magnaflow Overlander. Also seeing kits from aFe and Carven. Research is in order.

Intro post has gone live on Hooniverse
IMG_0441-scaled.jpeg

2018 Lexus GX460: Project Introduction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom