Builds Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure can. Impressions are largely unchanged from this post: Builds - Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/roodys-2018-lexus-gx460-build-adventure-and-off-the-road-again-podcast.1302517/post-14981223

Long story short, it's holding up fine. No rust on the mount itself, which is what matters. The provided hardware was rusted rather quickly and JW replaced it at their cost. I did add the Bofn Racing replacement door striker which may or may not have helped; hard to say. The door doesn't squeak whatsoever when it's warm, but when it's cold it does make an unpleasant squeak upon closing. It never squeaks or makes any noise when closed. The plate/stopper that keeps the door off the bumper is showing signs of wear. No cracks or anything on the tailgate, though I haven't opened the insides up yet to check on the innards. I don't expect there is any wear on the door itself. The hinges, I can't say. I suspect they're doing just fine as well. Grabbing the spare tire and pushing on it rocks the entire truck.

Up until recently the JW carrier was holding a 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T III mounted on a 17x8.5, 0 offset Motegi Trailite. It now holds a 34x10.5R17 BFG KO2 on a 17x8, 0 offset American Racing AR172 Baja. The window still opens, though I do admit I use it quite a bit less than before the spare was mounted there (i.e., pre-Toyo). Regarding the potential wear on the door and hinges, note that as far as upsized wheels/tires go, this is a relatively light combo; I'm sure many who have this setup carry a spare wheel/tire that's easily 10-15 pounds heavier.

I like the JW Offroad tire carrier for what it is, but don't think it's my ultimate long-haul spare tire mount solution.
Are you running LT tires?

Not a problem, glad I could help. You could certainly use the JW as a long-term solution with some basic reinforcement within the tailgate and on the hinges; wouldn't be too difficult at all, or at least I don't think it would. Of course, if you want the "most stock" solution then you can always get a real Prado rear door with the built-in tire carrier...
I spent some time looking for photos/specs on the Prado hinges but they look the same to me. I think the main difference is with the placement of the tire being closer to the hinge so it limits the leverage point a bit. I also think the mount pulls the tire closer to the door and the door itself has stronger reinforcement in the middle of the door to add strength to the sheet metal. The main issue with the Prado conversion is that after purchase, shipping, painting and install you are looking at $2500-$3000. That is a lot of money when the JW Offroad is $1000 and I can do the install myself. This hobby is a money pit!
1713971877528.png

I spent some time looking for photos/specs on the Prado hinges but they look the same to me. I think the main difference is with the placement of the tire being closer to the hinge so it limits the leverage point a bit. I also think the mount pulls the tire closer to the door and the door itself has stronger reinforcement in the middle of the door to add strength to the sheet metal. The main issue with the Prado conversion is that after purchase, shipping, painting and install you are looking at $2500-$3000. That is a lot of money when the JW Offroad is $1000 and I can do the install myself. This hobby is a money pit!
View attachment 3615494
The most fun hobbies always are :D

View attachment 3615494
Great reference! Haven't seen this movie since the 80s

Swapped out the traditional metal winch hook for a Factor 55 Prolink. Super easy process, took less than 5 minutes (once the snap ring tool I had to order arrived).

Before:

Step 1: Remove the cotter pin from the metal hook, extract the pin, and remove the hook from the winch line

Step 2: Remove the snap ring from the Prolink and remove the metal pin

Step 3: Slide the looped winch line into the Prolink, reinsert the pin, and reinstall the snap ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom