Ron Davis Radiator w/ Fans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@boogiebones @NLXTACY @Cruzilla @BeesKnees @RFB

Just curious what kind of improvement you all have seen from running the Ron Davis radiator? Did it reduce engine temps? I'm at the point of decision on my next radiator and I'm curious if the Ron Davis radiator cools significantly better than OEM.
I believe it did drop temps by a few degrees (nothing drastic), but I really went to a Rod Davis for having no plastic tanks. Keep in mind that I went from a new OEM radiator to the Ron Davis, if your current radiator is old you will see some extra cooling.

Geez! I got a lot of badges under my name.. LOL!
I guess I'm starting to show my age...

My engine is a new short block from Toyota and a rebuilt head. I flushed out the rest of the coolant system and dropped in an RD radiator. I run a stock fan with no modifications to the clutch. I don't have exact temp numbers (still have to get a better gauge installed), but I have never been concerned so far in the ~13,000 miles I have on the engine. I live and wheel in New Mexico. Summer Temps frequently in the high 90s.

Of the 5 yrs running RD in my 91, never had a problem with it overheating. But it did get hot last year in 100 degree summer climbing the Sierras up Tahoe and temp went up to about 220 F or so and i ended up blowing my tranny. I would just run OEM for the 1FZ since they are still avaliable and call it a day, RD is overkilled for mall crawler and overland types application IMO.

Update: ordered the Koyorad A1918 - 2 core aluminum radiator with plastic tanks from 1-800-Radiator for $274.32. They have a local presence so I will get it tomorrow.

I called Koyorad and they said 1-800-Radiator is an authorized dealer and one of their biggest distributors.

They have another Koyorad model for the 80 with all-metal tanks for about $750. The tanks are brass and the cooling element is copper. I thought about it for a moment, but metal tanks for more than double the price doesn't seem like a great deal.

My last radiator lasted 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom