rolling my own 70 series auxiliary gauge pod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This kit looks promising. Also sized to fit in the gauge pod. Programmable to display oil temp, egt, boost, coolant temp, AFR, etc. It's put out by Reveltronics. Does anyone have any experience with these?

View attachment 2110374

I have this setup going in a build. It's a KILLER piece. The display is off the charts. Can't wait to get it mounted and operating.

Well I got a little distracted with another auction purchase, but I am moving forward slowly. The auction purchase was an HZJ81 and I, again, don't like the information available for the stock gauges, but even more than the 70 series here are not that many good places to put stuff in an 80. But I think I found at least part of an answer--reusing the binnacle at the top of the windshield by taking out the altimeter and 'compass' and replacing them with a display; here's a couple of photos to show what I mean:
1575989515513.png

1575989589686.png

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-09 at 23.13.34.jpeg

1575989784125.png

I plan to use the stock plastic chassis to hold in the display and a local 12 to 5 VDC power supply and run only the HDMI cable down from the top to somewhere behind the dash, and do all the fiddly sensor stuff there.

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-09 at 23.13.34.jpeg

Here's the housing with the old plastic holder in it--it turne out to require almost no modification to back up the LCD screen.
1576009575538.png

Then filled in the two gaps at the side with grey epoxy putty:
1576009765870.png

And masked and painted the surrounding area with black acrylic paint:
1576009818953.png

1576009849423.png

I will let it dry and then fit the whole thing back together and see how it looks.

Well I got a little distracted with another auction purchase, but I am moving forward slowly. The auction purchase was an HZJ81 and I, again, don't like the information available for the stock gauges, but even more than the 70 series here are not that many good places to put stuff in an 80. But I think I found at least part of an answer--reusing the binnacle at the top of the windshield by taking out the altimeter and 'compass' and replacing them with a display; here's a couple of photos to show what I mean:
View attachment 2153377
View attachment 2153380
View attachment 2153382
View attachment 2153387
I plan to use the stock plastic chassis to hold in the display and a local 12 to 5 VDC power supply and run only the HDMI cable down from the top to somewhere behind the dash, and do all the fiddly sensor stuff there.

View attachment 2153381

Pillar pods are available for 81’s.

Cheers

Pillar pods are available for 81’s.

I've seen them SNLC but I they look a little too 'boy racer' for my taste. Personal thing I know.

I've seen them SNLC but I they look a little too 'boy racer' for my taste. Personal thing I know.

I hear ya, I just like my gauges at eye level or at least so I don’t have to look down to monitor them.

Cheers

:beer:I know the guages Theo, I mean the pod that they are fitted into.:p

:oops:

The facia plate is DIY wood, covered with some spare leather that I had laying around in the garage

:beer:Cheers Theo. Is the actual pod, the plastic goodie that your facia plate fits into, a Toyota part that I can order, and if so which model does it come out of. Would I be pushing my luck for a part number??:beer:

I finished some urgent stuff on the HZJ81 today--replacing the cushion in the drivers seat. I plugged in the monitor on the dummy 80 series pod just to see how it looks--
1576336444804.png

This was taken in pretty bright kitchen light--and I think it looks ok and there is enough real estate to put bar graph gauges on the display. I think I will stick it in my son's truck and get a better idea of the viewing angles and all.

I have to confess that I've gotten completely focused on completing the mechanical work on a 91 Model 75 -diesel- pickup that I am trying to send to the US as soon as possible.. Daily parts orders and various issues. I will get back to the panel once the dust clears on the pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom