rolling miles back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see many people buying or looking to buy cruisers.
Some of these have low miles for the year. This could be a bad topic but....
It has occurred to me that one could turn the miles ( clock the miles) back...
Just a thought and maybe should have kept it to myself...

That would be a fellony.

Rolling back an odo is a fellony regardless of why you do it.

There is only one reason to roll back the odo and that is to decieve a seller. How much $ is your dignity worth?

dood, did Cdan's avatar just scratch himself?

No, he adjusted the boys. No scratching.

Here is what the law reads:

Disconnecting or resetting the odometer with intent to change the mileage reading (with the intent to defraud).
Operating a vehicle with a nonfunctional odometer (with the intent to defraud).
Advertising, selling, using, or installing a device which causes an odometer to register incorrectly.
Knowingly falsifying the odometer disclosure statement.
Failing to attach a written notice of odometer service to the left door frame of the vehicle, or removing or altering such a notice.
A dealer or distributor from accepting an incomplete odometer disclosure statement.
Conspiring with any other person to violate the odometer fraud statutes or related regulations.

All pertains to the sell of the car with an altered odometer. I'll add that the frist line is alittle vague to me but who am I going to defraud...myself??

I know... Just wanted to mention it...

Things that make you go hmmm, okay, reason this out with me, the argument that you can legally do this if you do this for yourself and only yourself is ridiculous (if that is indeed what is inferred here????maybe I'm misunderstanding). If you do this than you already are aware about what the mileage of the vehicle is, so why do it? This sounds like the legal prelude to "ohh jeez judge, I rolled that odo back soooo long ago 'for my own legal reasons' I just forgot to tell the buyer!" Again, what's the why to this???

you usually could spot this on a low mile vehicle if you checked the car fax right?!

A freind of mine had a RR and it needed a new speedometer. When he returned to get an oil change the dealer was not at all pleased to see that he had changed the the reading to 235000 miles. He just wanted it right.

Rolling back the odometer is bad. No matter what reason. I totally am not going to or will never, but how hard is it to do such a thing? It's not like Farris Bueller's day off and sit it on blocks with it in reverse. Reason i ask is because i know a person who bragged about doing it to his z71 before he sold it and talked about how easy it is to do.

and after a certain # of years, all cars are excempt from the odometer discloser on the title, even dealers.

But yes rolling back is bad, but for a resto of an older 40 I would say its OK if its for you, not to sell as a low mile rig.

Me, I need to replace my odo in my 82 fj40, I have a new/used odo and I have rolled it UP to show the correct miles before installing it.

FirstToy said:
There is only one reason to roll back the odo and that is to decieve a seller.

Not true.

I rolled my 40's odo back to zero when I did my frame-up. When I sold it, I put the odo miles on the title and checked the little box "in excess of" and wrote in the 38,000 that were original miles.

nakman said:
I haven't done my speedo correction gear yet.. so for like the past 30k miles for every 100 miles I've really gone what, 106? (295 75 16). crap I owe like 1800 miles, now I'll never get to sleep.

Great, so those sliders have more miles on them than what I was told and the money is in route.

bastid

PDoyle said:
I see many people buying or looking to buy cruisers.
Some of these have low miles for the year. This could be a bad topic but....
It has occurred to me that one could turn the miles ( clock the miles) back...
Just a thought and maybe should have kept it to myself...
Remind me not to buy a "gently used, low mile" 80 from you :eek: , in fact if you ever sell, you might not want to post it in the ih8mud classifieds, we will be very suspicious.

PDoyle brings up a good point. How many cruisers for sale out there have modified odometers? Probably not many, but at least a few. I saw one two weeks ago that was bbbad. Saw the ad in the paper, a 96 with 70k mi. I didn't have a VIN before going out to see it so I couldn't CarFax it. It was advertised as blue, but when I got there I saw it was green. Not a good sign if the seller doesn't even know the color of his truck. Anyways, it was obvious by the looks of this truck (ext,int,eng) that it had closer to 170k mi. on the ODO. Several body panels and the firewall had been repainted, it was really bad. Just for kicks I got the VIN and ran a CarFax on it and CarFax had no data on the vehicle, scary.

It would be relatively easy to roll back these od's.... Just want to let others know to keep a careful eye on these so called low milage vehicles. Look at the brake pedal for wear, etc...

I think if you try to roll back the od it cracks/breaks something inside (like a seal), doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom