Roller fairlead or Hawse??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a Warn 8274 on my 71 FJ40 and have an absolute HATRED for chrome. Can I use a Hawse fairlead with cable or must it be a roller? If so, please tell me where I can find a black one!!!

If you were using galvanized wire rope, I would use a roller fairlead.

If you were going to use Amsteel blue or some other form of synthetic winch rope, I would then find a poly fairlead.

Paint the roller one black, and run it. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Hawse fairleads are "standard" equipment with wire rope on most winches below 12,000 lbs. Roller fairleads are an option. The advantage of a roller is pulling from an angle. The greater the angle, the more the roller is a benefit. The main dis-advantages to a roller are the additional distance that they protrude from the face of the mount (as that may affect approach angle) and the fact that they should not be used with synthetic winch ropes.

D-

as a general assumption, you are probably better off running a roller with a cable. I was. But you must also keep in mind that they are vulnurable as well. My roller fairlead got bent up and pinched the cable, and ruined my winch (it wasn't top quality but still... :mad: ) :eek: live and lear, huh? But really, it depends on what you want to run through it.

also depends how often you "plan" on using the winch. several times "every" weekend, a roller would be better for the cable. i have a hawse that was used WAY too much. however as much as i "plan" on *needing* a winch, i'll be just fine with a new(er) hawse fairlead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom