Rolled my 80, now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rolled the cruiser this winter on an extremely icy road. thankfully the wife & baby were unharmed and i only ended up with a 1/2 '' gash on me noggin. I'm just thankful we were in the landtank and not the wife's vibe. I want to buy another 80 to build, but :princess: is paranoid thinking we rolled because the cruiser was lifted. Any vehicle would have flipped doing 50mph sideways and backwards down a steep ditch into a two foot culvert:mad::mad::mad: Anyway, I'd like to keep the 80 parts for another build but it's an uphill battle for now. I may have to part her out, and yes she does have lockers. before
DSC00344.JPG
,after
DSC04237.JPG
. these pics may not make it, after all I'm a friggin stonemason relatively new to computers:doh:. I willfigure it out eventually. Lastly I want to thank this forum and all it's members for such an amazing resource that is I8HTMUD:cheers: I hope to prevail in my quest for another 80 so I may better know ye brethren . Peace !!

Glad your ok,all cars can flip.Hope you dont have Farmers Ins, they are terrible . Mike

Dang that thing rolled so hard it turned into a little red x :flipoff2:

glad to hear you are all ok....

since I can't see the picture I can't see if it would be able to make a good buggy.

buy it back for a song, and make a convertible out of it! :)

and remind her that the full-time 4wd is way safer than not having it... plus it's very strong etc. But yes, a lift will help with rollover.

Glad you are ok

Any vehicle would have flipped doing 50mph sideways and backwards down a steep ditch into a two foot culvert

I don't want to give any ammo to your wife, but...

I did the same think last March, but in a Saab. (2WD)
45mph, icey, backward down steep ditch after spin out, came to rest facing straight up the ditch with the back end of the car on a culvert, which prevented us from flipping backward into a creek.

Bottom line, the tires stayed on the ground the whole time.

My wife - with baby in utero and one week late on arrival - and I got out and hike 100 feet back up to the highway.

Here's your pics:
(hint: you've got an extra http// in the address)
Before
DSC00344.JPG

After
DSC04237.JPG

If you want another cruiser, it looks like you have some usable parts to transfer over and still enough of the original parts to sell. Just make darn sure that any suspension parts or axles are straight and true if you want to use them on the new cruiser. Good Luck!

I realize any increase in center of gravity increases chance for roll, but this ditch a good 45 degree down about 40 feet with a rut at the bottom two feet deep and a foot and ahalf wide, perfect tripper for any size tire going sideways. My tires actually peeled back and reseated ending up with weeds sticking out between rim and tire. A go cart would have rolled hitting that.

If you decide to part out can I have first dibs on the snorkel? Glad to see no one was seriusly hurt.

Find a 40 beater and transplant to body on top of your rolled chassis. Man that would be sweet - and a few have been seen recently. Well ...one can dream right?

Good luck and glad to hear you and family are OK.

That's a shame. Glad you are OK though. I would buy it back if you can.

What are you doing driving 50 on an extremely icy road anyway, especially with your wife and baby in the car?
Rusty

Glad you guys are ok. Buy it back and transfer.

On a side note, my father was a mason by trade. I always thought it was cool to be able to step back and look at the finished product. I don't get that sense of accomplishment from my chosen career. :beer:

What are you doing driving 50 on an extremely icy road anyway, especially with your wife and baby in the car?
Rusty
actually the road was just fine maybe alittle dusting of snow until I came around a corner there was a break in the tree line right on the shore of lake superior.lakewind affect + a -20 windchill = nasty ice patch. Still, I know I should have been doing 30 or less. I guess after driving landcruisers for over twenty years through some hairy situations I've gotten a little cocky. Big lesson learned, respect mother nature.

Sorry to hear about your accident... I would say buy it back and transfer the parts, but that's just me.

And to Mike Hanson, sorry that you had a bad experience with Farmers Insurance... (I'm a Farmers Insurance agent.) I will say that 95% of the claims that go through my office, the customer is satisfied with the way things turn out. Unfortunately, we can't please everybody.

Just a thought, move over to a 100 series. While not as good as an 80 for hard core off roading, they make great expedition rigs, and you can sell the wife on the additional safety features of side airbags (2003+) and VSC (2000+). While VSC won't necessary save you, in situations like what happened to you, it could have been the difference between staying on the road and going off.

Just a thought, move over to a 100 series. While not as good as an 80 for hard core off roading, they make great expedition rigs, and you can sell the wife on the additional safety features of side airbags (2003+) and VSC (2000+). While VSC won't necessary save you, in situations like what happened to you, it could have been the difference between staying on the road and going off.

Yes, VSC could help with this kind of situations (tech content)

but Whoah! Cary, Man! Careful! Somebody is gonna come and tell us all here about VSC and ATrac and 100s...! :eek: (strategic content)

:D

Dude... I am very glad you guys did not get hurt.

If you had been in an XJ it would not have been so good. I do believe with all my heart that the 80 saved you guys from harm. I do not believe the center of gravity was an issue.

I know you have to please the wife. I have been there several times in the past with my ex. But if you do decide to go for it. I know another 80 would protect your family just like the last one did. Any other worries then install a moderate roll bar.

Or you can transfer everything over to another cruiser like an FJ45, 55, etc....

Again glad you guys did not get hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom