Roll Cage A-Pillar Interference with Windshield Fold Down Latches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
I had a Metal Tech Jackson cage in my 76 FJ40, which I loved. I really liked how the A pillar wrapped around the dash and had the build in handle. I was planning on buying one for my 67, but it seems it will interfere with the windshield fold down latches. I'm actually planning on folding the windshield down from time to time with this one, otherwise I wouldn't mind.

I believe I've read that some people convert to the knobs, which is an option.... I'd just rather not if I don't have to.

If anyone has pictures of an A pillar with latches still functioning, I'd love to see!!

Thanks

IIRC, @pardion faced this issue and inboarded the latches to clear the cage.

Back in the ‘80s, there was a guy working for SOR who just took off the factory stuff and made anchors from the hardtop L bracket holes in the windshield frame to the roll cage that would keep the windshield up.

I've been trying to figure out the same problem. The rollbar I've got has one of the old school front hoops added on. No bends just straight. I imagine it was fine on the last FJ it was on, being that it was a mid 1970's. But on my 65 it hits the wiper motors and blocks the latches. Haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do yet.

IIRC, @pardion faced this issue and inboarded the latches to clear the cage.

Back in the ‘80s, there was a guy working for SOR who just took off the factory stuff and made anchors from the hardtop L bracket holes in the windshield frame to the roll cage that would keep the windshield up.

I moved mine inboard as well, works great

That is how I had mine done. Works good for my purposes.

Roll Cage 2.JPG

Fabricating the bucket seat frames.jpg

Roll Cage Side View.jpg

my cage is 50 inch wide , i dont know what is the factory latches location , this is a 77 and the tub is gozzard fiberglass , i chose to go with latches because i like to drop the windshield for slow driving , it is very quick compare to fine threads knob and i also like the utilitarian look , note i dont use dash pad , only a cross bar , the height of the bar was set so the latches can open

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom