Roll bars....how secure?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
AS I contemplate getting roll bars...I noticed that all are just mounted to the body. My friend had an accident in his FJ and the bars ripped right out of the body and didn't seem like they did much good.

I went back to my body shop and holy$$$...because of this reason, they mounted my friends through the body and down to the actual frame! Looks freaking awesome..

I will post some pics on Saturday...

Last edited:
In my opinion, roll-bars tied to the frame are the way to go. MUCH stronger then a cage just bolted to the tub. . .

Cage tied to the frame is the only way to go. Any other way, you are simply fooling yourself. Mine, and all that I build are tied to the frame at six points, at least.

Good luck!

-Steve

Agreed the body only has a fraction of the support and strength of the frame and the whole point is that the roll cage is strong enough to resist the forces from rolling the body cant handle that.

Tie it to the frame. Give Mark a call at MetalTech. He'd be more than happy to talk to you about roll cages and securing them in general. He's not all about selling the product, he's into the theory and figuring the best way to do things safely and efficiently.

metaltech4x4.com

billdance said:
AS I contemplate getting roll bars...I noticed that all are just mounted to the body. My friend had an accident in his FJ and the bars ripped right out of the body and didn't seem like they did much good.

I went back to my body shop and holy$$$...because of this reason, they mounted my friends through the body and down to the actual frame! Looks freaking awesome..

I will post some pics on Saturday...

Structurally speaking, its definetly stronger having it secured to the frame. Having said that, the stock bar in my 40 worked just fine in saving my ass after rolling over twice at 50 mph on pavement. It was quite tweaked of course. It didnt rip out of the body, but the corner of the hoop over my head was almost touching the steering wheel. Wish i had taken some pictures!

My first 40 rolled several times (with nobody in it, long story) down a local ski hill . The stock roll bar actually stayed in place. Mangled, but still in place. Probably would have kept me alive. But when I finally do get a custom cage (probably a metaltech) I am connecting it to the frame. And connecting the seats to the cage.

I am getting it done as we speak..... Will go to the bodyshop in a day or so and take photos...

MY buddy's looks awesome... They cut holes and then the roll bar bends to the frame. My only concern is the from portion that suts throught he fender well...on has about 3-4" clearance from bar and tire. I told them I want more....so I think they are going to cut away a portion of the fender well to get a good angle..

Will send pics in a day or so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom