Roll bar question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I tore my 72 40 apart for the restore I removed the roll bar and set it aside, well I am done with all of the body work and I am ready to put it back together. I have however noticed that the roll bar appears to not be a stock option on the 72, mainly due to the fact the holes for mounting it were drilled by the PO (poorly).

If I re-install the roll bar, what do I need to do to re-inforce the fender well to make it functional?

I'm not sure where the roll bar is currently mounted but mine actually had a piece of steel welded where the rollbar bolted to (inside top of the wheel well). And I think that is how they came from the factory. But if you can I would tie the rollcage to the frame.

- Rico.

Metal Tech Frame Ties

The PO just drilled the top of the fender wells and mounted it right in. It looked "stock" until I removed it and noticed the welled out holes. But I can easily wel some plates in if it will help.

Not sure whats up with the 72' on my 76' there was a "light weight" bracket welded to the inside of the wheel well. After replacing the tub I fabbed up some brackets out of 1/4" plate and braced it with 1X2 box wall. Ill tie it into the frame when the lift kit goes on. Im thinking that I can cut a slightly over size hole thru the frame and add some bushings to allow for some frame flex. The brackets are beefy I know but could definately be used as attachment points in case of rollovers.

Peace
Neal

My brackets were rusted out so I built frame mounts. I guess it depends on what you are going to do. If you may actually roll it I would get or build a full cage and tie it into the frame.

I have seen a lot of people put a large piece of plate (3/16"?) over the entire wheel well or use large angle iron and plate. The idea being to spread the load out over more than just a few inchs of sheetmetal and let the body and body mounts take the load.

Thanks guys! I'm thinking 1/4 plate as well, probably POR15 it, and weld it to the underside fenderwell. If anyone has any pics on how they tied it to the frame, please post them, I would love to do that as well.

Heres the ones I fabbed, over done I know!!!

And yes the front one does rub the tire in off camber; it does however stop the 31X10.5's from destroying the fender till I get a lift in.

peace
Neal

Last edited:
Mark (others too?) makes a kit for tieing cages to frames....http://metaltech4x4.com/productsframeset.htm

The stock rollbar uses tubing that's only about .070" walled. That, plus the bolt together nature of the thing make it decorative but not much use if you could possiblydo a flip. In fact, a mangled piece of that stuff could impale you in a wreck. You'd have to be transported looking like a hotdog on a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom