Roll bar or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am making progress on my 70, see avatar photo. The top is going back together.

The jump seats??? I have them. They need work. I can do that. My roll bar does not allow the jump seats to be installed. Since the top will stay on as long as I own it, do I really need a roll bar? If I remove it the jump seats can go back in.

I like the idea of making it as stock as I can within the bounds of practically. But would anyone really ride back there?? I do not know.

Thoughts?

use rear seat spacers.... sor sells them... or make your own

bottom of the page

It's really a personal question. I prefer something. Do you have kids? Are you going to have a passenger? It also depends on what you're going to do with the 40. The stk one is cheesy but its better than the sheetmetal top. My trail rig has a cage. The street 40 has the stk one and it may get upgraded at some point, it will be driven on the street and see the trails on my hillside.

The thought of flipping a 40 at speed is pretty chilling. Without a roll bar? I don't think the people inside would fare well at all.

65 mph roll over soft top with roll bar and a roll over with a hard top... if it didn't have a roll bar it would not have done well

Roll Bars help

mytruckrolled.jpg
40.jpg

I rolled mine and it has a factory roll bar. I walked away without a scratch. No glass was broken and not much of the sheet metal was bent. I was on the highway doing about 60 or 65. I would say you need it adjust the seats to fit with any roll bar you choose.

I put my 68 on it's side back in fall 1975. Was on black ice and slid off the road sideways. Hit the shoulder and flipped. I had unstalled a Smttybuilt roll bar after buying the cruiser the year before. I installed it the correct way and used the angle iron pieces at the top of the tub. I'm sure it prevented more damage then it would have without it. Did replace the top in the long run a year later. But was able to not only drive it but drove and towed a large U-Haul trailer from South Lake Tahoe to Flagstaff shortly after the accident. Without the roll bar sure the top would have been trashed beyond use and forced to use the used top my insurance company want to install. That top was in worse shape than my was before the accident.

The thought of flipping a 40 at speed is pretty chilling. Without a roll bar? I don't think the people inside would fare well at all.

I think the roll bar adds "some" safety, but really, these things are death traps that pre-date safety. (Like most old vehicles)

If it makes you feel any better Australian 40's never really came with roll bars.
I have only ever seen a few down here.

I'm unsure why they weren't standard here, Australia is generally pretty pedantic with safety but we never received them.

I'd like to put one in mine as I drive it probably 80% of the time off road on some pretty tricky terrain. But it needs to be engineered to be legal here so it's a bit of a can of worms.

I don't like to think about what would happen if I rolled it on a super steep track with my misus in the passenger seat. I don't think it would end well!

My 40 has a PO installed later model roll bar but then with the long jump seats shifted in. I dont like the seats how they are set up, he used blocks of wood to support them when in use.

I am asking myself the same question because I am going to install and Aqualu 3/4 tub and dont want to drill too many holes. I do love the look of no roll bar... but I am also looking for jump seats that would work with a roll bar, but for the reasons state above. I think I may get the metal tech 4x4 bar and sell the OE one since it will sit flat on the tub which does not have ribs, I expect it will be stronger (can add frame tie ins) and looks cleaner IMO

I managed to get the long jump seat (1981) fit just ok with Megastore4x4 roll bar.
C857124E-CC6F-4015-9FC7-3F3FA71CB379.jpeg

Grab an Ouija board and ask this guy how not having a roll bar worked out for him.

Adding a safety item or two is always a good idea on a 40 series.

fotor_1680208914088.jpg

Grab an Ouija board and ask this guy how not having a roll bar worked out for him.

Adding a safety item or two is always a good idea on a 40 series.

View attachment 3286615

My guess this was a FJ45/HJ47 stake bed. Those are heavy duty springs used on a long wheel base. By the mangled frame have a feeling it was
also overloaded. A lot of mass hit something else with just as much mass or greater mass. The area did not appears a place where high speed would likely factored in.

My guess this was a FJ45/HJ47 stake bed. Those are heavy duty springs used on a long wheel base. By the mangled frame have a feeling it was
also overloaded. A lot of mass hit something else with just as much mass or greater mass. The area did not appears a place where high speed would likely factored in.
Maybe FJ43 and seems like it’s fallen down from some roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom