roll bar installation and long seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had a MetalTech roll bar (stock style) installed in my 81 BJ40. Everything is good except now we can't figure out a way to get the long trooper seats back into it!

The seats are too long to fit between the legs of the bar and since the bar takes about 4" (2" diameter + mounting plate) from the panel walls, the rubber stopper on the bottom of the seat is way overhanging the wheel well when down.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I REALLY like the long seats :(

The rubber support is moved easy enough, so that it will contact the inner fender again. You will need to make brackets to tie the backs of the seats to the edge of the body, or the roll bar.

Good luck!

-Steve

The seats aren't real sturdy - do you think with such a big overhang off the wheel well that they will hold up?

Does anyone have pics of their solution to this? Please??

I have done this. SOR sells the brackets (this page http://www.sor.com/sor/cat246b.tam?xax=30575) or you can easily make some. The only problem is that the rubber feet have to be moved back toward the window, and people sitting on the edge of the seat eventually smash the feet. I am thinking of designing some other sort of support to hold the seat up, but haven't put much thought into it, yet.

Make the bottom of the seat stronger then...

How large of a load are you expecting to carry, safely with you?

Are you trying to make this handle four adults in the back?

::)

p.s. no trouble with sturdiness.

I'll look into the legs idea, thanks! I'd still like pics if anyone has any.

5 months of facelifts almost done!

Mine has a home made bracket that bolts to the fenderwell and sticks into the cargo area for the bumper to set on when the seats are folded down. The upper brackets bolt to the rollcage.

Thanks for the pics! That looks like the solution suggested by one of my folks here (bolting into the roll bar). That extention on the wheel well looks like one of the easier ideas too.

Anybody have pics of the legs they added to the seats for support?

Pics of the new roll bar, before seat install (gonna move the bumpers and add "legs").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom