Rogers Revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Meet Roger. He is a 1984 FJ60. I picked this rig up from a guy here in Boise for what I think was a great price ($3k). (I have to thank my bro in law @DoubleNickels for recruiting me to the gang) The car has 250k miles on it but the previous owner had obviously taken pretty good care of it. I was told it was car they used to haul the kids around in. He had a professional install of a TBI conversion and custom headers and exhaust about 2 years prior to me buying it. For it's age this thing has some great power.

Externally cosmetics aren't great. About a year before I bought it his son was driving it to the local ski hill and slid into someone which is why there is mismatching front panels. There are some additional dings here and there. Also, a few weeks ago someone side swiped it when they were backing out of a parking spot and made a noticeable dent along the left side of the rig. The interior is in great condition with the exception of a slight tear in the headliner and the very old and torn up front seat. Not to mention the previous owner had purchased the SOR carpet kit but never installed it - so that was my first project.

I want to restore this thing to its former glory and will definitely need the help of you muddsters!

My real concern at this point is rust. Is it going to be worth the effort to clear this thing of rust cancer?

So far the only real major work I have done is a carpet install as well as replacing the water pump. I need to figure out what is most important and some input would be helpful!

Here are some goals:

• Improve the handling on the road
  • Improve the appearance - I hate the brown panels
  • RUST - I'm finding rust in more places than I would like..
  • New tires
  • New rubber stripping
  • Sound dampening
  • New / Restored front seat - I'm literally sitting on wires :/
  • Etc.
I need to find myself a physical FSM - I'm not a fan of the digital ones. (I have however indexed a couple of the PDF versions so you can search them - If your interested I will post a link)

IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_6219.PNG
IMG_5695.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG

I wouldn't worry appearance at first...go through it mechanically...knuckles, brakes, fluids...etc. My drive line bolts were finger tight when I got mine a few years ago! Welcome to the fun!

Nice... glad to see you here on MUD! Love your truck, runs REALLY strong.

For cosmetics, we can get those dings out. As for the rust... let me cut my teeth on my FJ55 panels first to get a feel for it, then we'll tackle the big stuff . Let's start here... $245 for full rear quarter panels sounds like a hell of a deal!

Keep sharing! This site is unreal for support and shared passion. :bounce:

That rig has character brother. Looks great. @Dooner1 is right, tackle the mechanics and then worry about the cosmetics. Mitigate the rust areas and you'll be ready for paint. Welcome to the club man!

Thanks Gents! Excited to learn from the collective knowledge of you Mudsters!

I have noticed a drop in break performance. It's seems to be air in the break lines as bleeding them returns the pressure. I recently swapped out the rear breaks and the front breaks still have plenty of life in them. When replacing the (I think) rear left drum break we noticed a little bit of a leak from the cylinder at the wheel. I'm guessing this is the culprit.

I'm curious about swapping the breaks with the 4runner swap.. anyone have any experience with how much it improved the breaking?

Great looking LC! I'm a recent convert as well. I'll be enthusiastically following your build. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom