RODa'M: Pappy's 1985 4Runner Deluxe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
**Edit August 2020.**

I've owned this truck since 1988. Yep, 20 32 years ago I drove her into the stable, and I have no intention of turning her to pasture. Currently 301,000 449,000 miles are on the ticker. Second Third engine, but original unopened transmission. Primary use of this truck is back country exploration for periods of 1-2 weeks. Secondary use is playing in the rocks at Moab. Significant modifications include:

• Balanced 22RE
  • Late model plenum and throttle body
  • 4" ~2.5" OME spring lift: extended length Alcan rear
  • R151F transmission (Marlin rebuilt)
  • Dual 23-spline 2.28 transfercases
  • ARB locker in rear V6 diff
  • V6 calipers, V6 1" master cylinder, LC vented rotors
  • TrueTrac in the front FZJ80 high-pinion diff
  • 4.56 gearing in axles
  • High steer cross-over steering (Marlin)
  • 33x12.50-15 MT/KM BFG AT KO2 Falken Wildpeak AT, 32x11.50-15 tires on 8" steel Aluminum rims
  • Front Range front bumper
  • Warn 9000
  • Stout Equipment rear bumper with tire/fuel carrier, slightly modified
  • 14 gallon auxiliary fuel tank from NW Metal Products
bushrat2cm06sm.jpg
oops.JPG
Baja0306_ 093_sm.jpg

Last edited:
  1. Front seats are original and in near perfect condition. They are currently covered with Okole seat covers. Driver's side has been replaced with a MasterCraft Baja RS.
  2. Pillar gauges include temp, air/fuel, and vacuum.
  3. I made the panel with the aux outlets.
seats.jpg

gauges.jpg

Relocated switches-sm.jpg

Last edited:
The only improvements/modifications I would like to do is install real sliders, and install the R151F with dual 23-spline transfer cases I have in the garage. (installed)

trannytctc_sm.jpg

Last edited:
$11,000 was the asking price at Riverside Toyota (CA), and they didn't budge an inch on the price.

Any more close up pics?
Nice looking rig!
Any kind of interior storage system?

Any more close up pics?
Nice looking rig!
Any kind of interior storage system?

Patience my boy. Don't want to overwhelm everybody at once. I'll post up pics from under the hood tonight, and maybe more of the filthy interior. If there is something you would like to see up close let me know.

Not really any interior storage like a drawer system. Since I do occasionally sleep in the truck a drawer system wouldn't work for me. I do have a small "ATV" box that I keep spare parts in.

July 2020 Update

On to what's under the hood.

• Engine: DOA Racing 22RE, balanced, ported, polished. DOA engine replaced with rebuilt engine using balance DOA internals, but "new" block.
  • Cylinder head: LC Engineering Pro (ported, larger valves)
  • Cam: DOA C270 LC Engineering EFI Pro
  • Header: Doug Thorley tri-y
  • Exhaust: 2.25" pipe into Flowmaster cat, Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler
  • Late model plenum conversion, gasket matched porting.
  • LC Engineering spark plug wire loom kit.
  • TRD oil fill cap.
  • Radiator: 3-row Modine 2041. Replaced with an extra large 2-row.
  • V6 brake booster and 1" master cylinder.
  • V6 brake calipers and LC vented rotors.
engineleft.jpg

plenum.jpg

Last edited:
HAM radio is now a Yaesu FT8800. Accessory outlets now include three 12 volt outlets from a Tacoma, and a Blue Sea dual USB socket. I also removed the CB.

header.jpg

Last edited:
Interior Upgrades

Keep in mind that this was a bare bones "deluxe" grade truck. Many of the SR5 amenities were not to be found in this truck, but they were bolt-in options with no modifications required. They include:

• Tilt steering column with intermittent wipers. Needed IFS steering shaft IIRC.
  • Dash clock.
  • Center console with 2-compartment box and padded armrest.
  • Instrument cluster with tachometer and full gauges, such as they were.
  • Rear shoulder seat belts. Back seat is now gone for extra room.

In addition this truck came from Japan without a rear seat. Once it arrive here an aftermarket seat was installed, but it was a full bench. Recently I found a split bench at the boneyard and installed it, or at least the back part. The bottom bench is in the closet. The new boneyard seat was blue while the truck was brown. Matching Okole seat covers fixed that.

Pic of go-fast stickers.
stickers.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet freakin wheels, especially the interior things (tilt steering, ext). Very clean under the hood too, well done!

:cheers:

One more pic, just cuz ... Baja Adventure 2008.

Baja_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Pillar gauges include temp, air/fuel, and vacuum.
Is that a digital readout on the A/F gauge? Does it show you an actual ratio?

Is that a digital readout on the A/F gauge? Does it show you an actual ratio?

It's actually a series of lights that sweep left to right as the Ox Sensor sends the pulses. No numbers, it's all relative.

Love the Ed Abbey references here!

I need to get a better look at Pappy's truck, it's the only SAS truck I know of local to me, and I *might* need the measurements soon. :)

It looks great in person too! Totally "right" proportions. Amazing how good a built 4-runner like that can look!

Dan

It looks great in person too! Totally "right" proportions. Amazing how good a built 4-runner like that can look!

Dan

I must modestly admit I like the way it looks too. But, I'm more of a "function" kinda guy. What ever I bolt on the truck has to improve the trucks ability, and it needs to stay within the mission of being an expedition truck. For me it has to work good first, and if it looks good too as a result, great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom