"Rod ends" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was reading 4WD mag the other day and saw this article about rod ends instead of bushings. Now my bushings on my LCA's recently went bad and this kind of made me think if these would work on the 80. I don't see why not, I realize it would involve a decent amount of fab work. What do you guys think, has anyone done this?
image-1665970086.jpg
image-3985110381.jpg

Yup just finished mine
image-2831122128.jpg
image-3398375569.jpg

I would recommend Johnny Joints over rod ends in almost all applications.

I would recommend Johnny Joints over rod ends in almost all applications.

Me too but they dont make a size that fits in the stock 80 mounting width

There too wide, the smallest they make is 2.63" the 80 has 2 1/4 mounting, and yes I have mounted them, I used 2x 7/8's chromoly rod ends with 2" .250 wall Dom

Notice any big differences?

I'm not sure those things are DOT certified for hiway use.

Just sayin'.

I'm not sure those things are DOT certified for hiway use.

Just sayin'.

Same goes for a lot of things that people on this site install every day.

DOT Certification is pretty meaningless, people just need to use some common sense when it comes to modifications.

Same goes for a lot of things that people on this site install every day.

DOT Certification is pretty meaningless, people just need to use some common sense when it comes to modifications.

Most off road manufactures don't have their stuff dot certified, it puts too much liability on them.. That's why they include a note saying "for off road use only"

Those are junk. There is no way to lubricate them. They will wear out fast. Bushings are better.

If you do go this way, buy the highest quality teflon lubricated joints you can, and they will still get noisy. And you do transmit more vibration through the links. Not too bad for a trail rig, can be annoying for a hwy truck.

If you do go this way, buy the highest quality teflon lubricated joints you can, and they will still get noisy. And you do transmit more vibration through the links. Not too bad for a trail rig, can be annoying for a hwy truck.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

Those are junk. There is no way to lubricate them. They will wear out fast. Bushings are better.

I agree, save yourself some pain.

Heims and Uniballs are the standard for harcore offroading, from rocks to desert racing. They are stronger, last longer (in extreme duty situations), and flex more than bushings.

Quality ones are self lubricating and teflon coated.

Bushings are only used on passenger vehicles because they're cheaper and act as shock absorbers (less noise and vibration transmission->more comfortable) and because they meet on-road ability requirements.

The difference is, for extreme situations, the relative use is small. A few miles a few weekends per year. While at the time, it's "hard core" the actual use is trivial.

For trucks driven every day, in every weather, with less meticulous attention to problems, they will fail. And fast.

We are not talking dedicated off-roaders, trailered to the trail, and trailered home. We're talking 80s, that get driven everyday on all the routine crap we all have to do. I put 15K miles on my 80 last year, none of it was off-raod. Heims and uniballs were not built to take that kind of use, bushings are.

Agree on being cautious with a mod like this. Bushings absorb the constant vibration of road components to prevent the vibrations being passed along the mechanical parts. In this case, they are passed along to the steering box (if those are steering links), which Toyota never intended to be buzzing away with vibrations as you drive along. And bushings last a very long time - like decades - with zero maintenance.

Cool mod for rough offroad use, but stay on top of maintenance and check the fastener torque frequently.

DougM

The difference is, for extreme situations, the relative use is small. A few miles a few weekends per year. While at the time, it's "hard core" the actual use is trivial.

For trucks driven every day, in every weather, with less meticulous attention to problems, they will fail. And fast.

We are not talking dedicated off-roaders, trailered to the trail, and trailered home. We're talking 80s, that get driven everyday on all the routine crap we all have to do. I put 15K miles on my 80 last year, none of it was off-raod. Heims and uniballs were not built to take that kind of use, bushings are.

I've built many trucks and used heims for control arms with no issue, sure if all you do is drive it to the mall there not the best choice, if they made rebuildable joints in a more narrow size I would have used those... But they don't, and I destroyed man a fres crappy poly bushings so I decided to make my own at a fraction of the cost. I can live with a couple creeks and pops.

Sisicone spray does a fine job of lubricating them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom