Rod bearing condition

Howdy,

Well I dropped the oil pan on a 68 vintage 1F engine. When I got it it had been sitting in the backyard next to a shed in NM for about 5 years.

I am replacing a few of the cotter pins that fell off into the pan. Info is on another thread.

I decided to inspect the rod bearings while I was there.

My thought was since I have no history on it running, I would check a few rod bearing to see the overall condition.

Tell me what you all think on the condition.

Ernie

Screenshot_20220306-090502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220306-090510_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220306-090517_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220306-090523_Gallery.jpg

They honestly don't look to bad for what they were. By that I mean bi-metal bearings. Obviously some contaminants made it past the filter but there's some life left in them.

Are you planning to replace them? Mains and rods.

Rod bearings for sure. Mains look ok in general. Still need to check out the front and rear one.

I think it needs a new cam. One lobe looks bashed:(

Since this thing is already apart, I would opt for new brgs--in pic #3, the babbit is smeared badly, some of the others show signs of the same thing to come. Follow Living in the past's comment--mic the journals before buying std--you might need different---

When I worked field service for a Caterpillar dealer, we'd "roll in " new bearings. Under the machine, oil dripping on our heads. Your bearings look typical. Nothing alarming but I wouldn't run them.

I agree with above. Mic journals just to be sure and replace bearings. Plastiguage after install.

We used to lightly clean up journals with crocus cloth strips also. Just my personal experience. Many more opinions out there I'm sure.

Good luck with your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom