The Nomad 1994 80 Project Car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So had to get help cleaning the car ...... and i mean wow i have never seen anything like this ...
Several hours later (and a lot of chemical later) I am finally able to see in the engine bay !!
I didnt do the ceiling in fear of it sagging, so i will have to do that at some time.

Nothing spectacular but a huge step from before !

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.38 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.39 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.58 PM.jpeg

Replaced, tied up and got my suspension undercarriage sorted.

View attachment 3037972View attachment 3037973View attachment 3037974View attachment 3037975

Quick overview:

Compressing the bushings in the back bushing

Sway bar bushing front worn - replaced
sway bar bushing back worn - replaced
Front back bushings (the one with 3 bushings to together and 1 at back) worn - replaced
Back bushings all 4 worn - replaced
Front stabilizing bar both sides worn - replaced
the side "finger thingies that look like a clamp on one side and a bolt" both worn - replaced
steering tightened (Needs work in the future)
Almost everything was lose and i mean everything needed to be tightened a lot ...

By worn I mean ruptured, screw driver shifts it easily. No wonder it felt like jelly with the lift XD

You need to CHECK YOUR NUTS!

The bottom of the steering arm on BOTH sides. The one on the LEFT side appears to be loose.

Please torque both sides (4) nuts on each side to 71 LB-FT. (or whatever N-M that equates to.

This is VERY important!

You need to CHECK YOUR NUTS!

The bottom of the steering arm on BOTH sides. The one on the LEFT side appears to be loose.

Please torque both sides (4) nuts on each side to 71 LB-FT. (or whatever N-M that equates to.

This is VERY important!

I need to check more than my nuts !!

Can you highlight the nuts in question ? I dont know which ones that is in English.
(I do have a torque wrench as well)

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-01 at 2.57.32 PM.jpeg

So a noobish question is this the fuel vapor canister ? The house is brittle and cracking ....

So power steering is acting up, I did top it off a week ago I guess its the source of the oil leak in the car.

I will reconnect the houses and add oil and see (going to mechanic tomorrow anyways. What type of oil should i be adding ?

View attachment 3047310

So a noobish question is this the fuel vapor canister ? The house is brittle and cracking ....
Yes, that is the vapor canister. There should be two hoses to it.

So power steering is acting up, I did top it off a week ago I guess its the source of the oil leak in the car.

I will reconnect the houses and add oil and see (going to mechanic tomorrow anyways. What type of oil should i be adding ?

The correct fluid (per the FSM) for the power steering on these is Dexron 3 or equivalent. It should be red. If what you have in there is brown or clear, you should flush it and replace with Dexron 3. There are a few here in the USA that use a Mobil Hydraulic Fluid, but I'm not sure on the availability where you are.

You might lift the front wheels off, with the engine not running and turn lock to lock to see if you can get air out of it. That loud seems like air in the pump causing cavitation.

It lost oil hence the cavitation noise, even after feeling it up still there.
Its slightly better but I haven't done the front end and steer exercise.

Apparently when i changed the exhaust i didnt take care to ensure the AC cables don't touch (they melted at one point causing a leak)

Yes, that is the vapor canister. There should be two hoses to it.

The correct fluid (per the FSM) for the power steering on these is Dexron 3 or equivalent. It should be red. If what you have in there is brown or clear, you should flush it and replace with Dexron 3. There are a few here in the USA that use a Mobil Hydraulic Fluid, but I'm not sure on the availability where you are.

It is red but its very viscous for my liking (Not that I have the experience to judge but oil should be oily right?). I will take a pic and post it but I am not happy with it.

On a side note the AC unit fitted is Toyota original with cooling capacity of 17 (what ever that means). The recommendation was to go for 20 as the car has 3 cooling zones any ideas about that ?

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-02 at 10.54.01 PM (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-02 at 10.54.01 PM (5).jpeg

Man those fins have taken a pretty serious beating! Not sure how much air can get through those. You might try to straighten them up so you get better air flow. that air flow is also keeping air from getting to the radiator.

Man those fins have taken a pretty serious beating! Not sure how much air can get through those. You might try to straighten them up so you get better air flow. that air flow is also keeping air from getting to the radiator.

Everything in this car took series beating!!!

Air flow didn't seem restricted but maybe because there are 2 fans (ac front and radiator back) I am unable to tell.

Well as long as everything works to your liking then you are good, but I would always wonder how much colder that AC could get haha.

Well as long as everything works to your liking then you are good, but I would always wonder how much colder that AC could get haha.

In Egypt you always need cooler AC !! it gets blistering hot .... I will check the fan for sure thanks for the pointers :D

Oil gauge is shot and the AC needs more coolant.
Did a good undercarriage clean for the car and spotted some rust issues on the right side in the body (Still pretty solid though).
I do need to take of all the bits and pieces of rust scattered around.

So the driver seat back right bolt is broken i couldnt get it out or reach the nut holding it as its under the gas tank.

Any ideas other than taking the whole tank out to remove / fix that bolt ???

So the driver seat back right bolt is broken i couldnt get it out or reach the nut holding it as its under the gas tank.

Any ideas other than taking the whole tank out to remove / fix that bolt ???
Use a torch and blow a hole from the inside down on top of the gas tank?

It may solve ALL your problems.

Use a torch and blow a hole from the inside down on top of the gas tank?

It may solve ALL your problems.
Will make sure the misses is sitting while I do that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom