The Nomad 1994 80 Project Car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project update 1-9-2023

Well to make things easier, figured i would update the list of things done here.
  • Engine:
    • Oil and filter change
    • Cleaned Idle control sensor
    • Cleaned air intake sensor
    • Bolted Alternator / replaced bolts
    • Changed Alternator belts x 2
    • Replaced fuel lines to charcoal canister
    • Radiator flush with new coolant.
    • Installed a new heatshield for bonnet
    • Cleaned air filter
  • Under Carriage
    • Front:
      • Front axle housing swap (Old one was cracked)
      • Rebuild swivel and hubs
      • New bearings
      • New front axel hub (old one pretty worn but functional)
      • All bushings changed new except for caster correction kit.
      • Replaced broken bolt
      • New discs
      • New break pads
      • Oil changed for front axel hub.
    • Back
      • New brake masters right and left
      • New pads
      • New discs
      • Replaced disk assembly (Broken break and handbrake mountings)
      • Replaced right and left break lines
      • All bushings changed new
      • Oil changed back axle hub
    • Steering & breaks
      • Master cylinder repaired (repair kit) will need changing
      • Replaced main steering column as it had too much play
  • Interior / Electrical
    • Sorted out wiring for aux battery
    • Replaced 12 V socket
    • Changed oil gauge
    • Cleaned / replaced burned bulbs in dashboard
  • Frame, doors and exterior
    • Swapped / bolted lots of parts
      • Radiator
      • Gearbox oil cooler
      • Hood locking mechanism
      • Front lights
      • Grill
    • Fabricated AC radiator mounts (well cut it out and bent it but i want to sound fancy ...)
    • Replaced tailgate handle
    • New
  • Exhaust
    • Replaced middle exhaust (copy not OEM)
    • changed exhaust rubber mounts
    • Replaced all gaskets (after end of manifold to end of exhaust)
    • Welded the hole in back exhaust box and pipe
    • Extended the exhaust port away from car
  • Winch
    • Took winch apart for cleaning
    • made a gasket to replace torn one (which seized the free spool)
  • Lighting
    • Added external LED back lights and connected to lights panel
    • replaced side blinkers with LED
    • Added Hud LED for engine bay and connected to lights panel
    • Repaired front left blinker (Epoxy and replaced housing)
    • LED main beam lights

After dreaming, saving, selling my blood and doing stuff I'm not very proud off I finally purchased my dream the FJ80 Landcruiser!
Of course the car comes with rust, problems and issues exactly what I need to distract me and provide me with bliss as I clean, fix and hopefully share my utter failures (and lack of knowledge) for the whole world to see.

My car has a long story which I'm unraveling as a I go, a long time ago it was a diesel 1991 model and as time passed (and ownership) It has now become a Frankenstein FJ80.
The chassis is 1991, the engine was swapped to 4.5 EFI then came a whole frame change.
So it has disk breaks all around, 3 AC units (front, fridge and overhead air vents which was made for UAE market) with Automatic air control and such. I think the frame is akin to 1994/1995.
The car was then fitted with gearbox intercooler (forgive me for not knowing proper jargon - noob here) i.e gearbox cooling via a small radiator, duel battery system with isolator, extra tank 45 Litres, spare tire winch under the additional fuel tank and some other bits and pieces like old man emu lift with buffers.

Now I choose this car because it needs a lot of love and I have no intention of selling instead i want to restore it little by little while enjoying the Egyptian desert camping (Not in the summer thought far too hot !!)

The car has series body frame rust, will probably swap the right and left fenders, 4 doors and some of the front parts. The undercarriage is good except for some surface rust due to it being used for boat operation.

I do tend to ask a LOT of questions and I do apologies for my sense of humor (or lack of it) but I'm an acquired taste (Or so i hope!)

I have attached the picture of the car and its great joining the community of Landcruisers .... feels like home already :)

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-08 at 10.45.09 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
My utter lack of skills shows already, couldn't attach build hashtag before the post X|

First order of business was swapping out the middle exhaust box .... it was shot, stabbed, blown and shot again. First change since well a very long time ago.

We have a lot of problems in import in Egypt, all i could find was an OEM exhaust made in China. Swapped it and a huge improvement.
Swapped the exhaust mounts as well they had evaporated along with my wallet.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.11 AM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.12 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.12 AM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.12 AM.jpeg

Welcome!

Show us all the goodness you have!

You have many of the things that the USA did NOT get (but we WANT!)

Good luck and ask away. There is also a Diesel section for your Diesel Engine questions. Those mostly have to come from countries other than USA.

So its currently a petrol 4.5 EFI no longer a diesel ! :D

So huge list of questions I will try to take it one step at a time.

First the ugly, frame rust is bad right and left bumpers where not properly sealed by the headlights. Over the years water ingress rotted the frames.

I have another spot in the frame (bubbling).

The 4 doors seem to have aged there is rust in them but they also seem uneven. I want to change all 4 doors, both side frames and front beam holding head beams.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.02 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.52.10 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.52.11 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-08 at 10.28.08 PM (1).jpeg

Looks like it's been in a collision or two!

My first question is regarding the chassis, from first glance it seems in good condition upfront in particular. There is rust spots at the back from sea operation (boat launching and retrieval) what should i look for ?
Should i grab a metal brush and "test" the rest and how deep it is or is there something else i should be looking for ?

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 10.27.47 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 10.27.48 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.10 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.14 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 10.29.14 AM.jpeg

Looks like it's been in a collision or two!
Yep and also a roll over in the desert !

Most FJ80 owners are serious safari off-roaders ... oh and here is a video of the car with the previous owner.

I do need to clean it XD

The video is "private" and cannot be opened.

Umm your rust issue doesn't seem as bad in the pictures as you seem to indicate. But i believe you just maybe it is something you can hit with s wire wheel then some rust converter and seal those spots up.

I thought you could order from EAU there and if so can you not order from partsouq.com?

Umm your rust issue doesn't seem as bad in the pictures as you seem to indicate. But i believe you just maybe it is something you can hit with s wire wheel then some rust converter and seal those spots up.
Well I will take more pics but I can't really asses (I lack the experience tbh). I got the wire wheel and metal brushes so maybe today after work i will take it for a deep clean (i did notice oil leaking but its far too dirty to pinpoint location atm) then take some more pics.

Yah unless some one is coming and buys it with him or he ships himself, customs is brutal !
I will have a look at partsouq.com and give it a try thanks !

I noticed black smoke yesterday and unburned fuel smell, what should I be looking for / adjusting ?

I noticed black smoke yesterday and unburned fuel smell, what should I be looking for / adjusting ?

I took this video yesterday after noticing a couple of things:
  • First the smell of unburned fuel but its near the engine bay not the exhaust.
  • Second there is a sound from the bottom of the car ticking almost could it be wear in the cam shaft ?
  • There is uneven idling after a bit feels it idles low i did not check the RPM but it had a low idle range.
Here is a video of it idling, I have no reference or experience so i cant really tell.

The ticking noise and I burnt fuel smell is an exhaust leak, could be at any of the exhaust junctions, a mixture of water and soap sprayed on a cold exhaust and then turning the truck on should show bubbles at the leak.

The ticking noise and I burnt fuel smell is an exhaust leak, could be at any of the exhaust junctions, a mixture of water and soap sprayed on a cold exhaust and then turning the truck on should show bubbles at the leak.

So you where right, I had changed the mid exhaust box and both the gaskets on both ends.

However the ones next to the engine had not been changed.
exhaust gasket.jpeg

So car now has a full set of new gaskets.

The ticking noise is still there, the smell is gone after replacing the exhaust gaskets.

Idle seems a bit off to me here is with out AC

Idle with AC 1 (it has 3 AC zones, front fridge and back)

Oh and the oil pressure gauge is not working !! I need to sort this out asap ....... any suggestions ?

Replaced, tied up and got my suspension undercarriage sorted.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.21 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.22 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.40 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.41 PM.jpeg

Quick overview:

Compressing the bushings in the back bushing

Sway bar bushing front worn - replaced
sway bar bushing back worn - replaced
Front back bushings (the one with 3 bushings to together and 1 at back) worn - replaced
Back bushings all 4 worn - replaced
Front stabilizing bar both sides worn - replaced
the side "finger thingies that look like a clamp on one side and a bolt" both worn - replaced
steering tightened (Needs work in the future)
Almost everything was lose and i mean everything needed to be tightened a lot ...

By worn I mean ruptured, screw driver shifts it easily. No wonder it felt like jelly with the lift XD

Next weekend I need to do the following:
  • Automatic transmission inspection, filter change and oil change
  • Front and rear axel oil change
  • Coolant flush
  • Much much needed car cleanup to be able to identify where the oil leaks are from.
  • Sorting of oil pressure gauge !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom