Rockslider rant and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yeah I've searched...

WHY oh why doesn't anyone make decent rocksliders for a 40? I mean something that WELDS to the frame, uses 1.75/2.0" tubing, DOES NOT touch the body in any way, and is stout enough?

All the sliders I see commercially are either attach to the body lip style (don't like because I don't want to whack the body in that area... I'm trying to protect the rocker panels not damage them) and then they BOLT to the frame, or they are wimpy "steps" that would tear off at the first rock they touch.

I'm looking for rock sliders that meet these criteria:

Weld to the frame with outriggers that are gusseted at the frame rails;
Mimic the lines of the original running boards WITH a slight rear kicker;
Are made from smaller-diameter (1.75 to 2.00") thick-wall tubing;

I have similar rock sliders on my 4Runner :

rockguards_truck_l.jpg

SO... doesn't seem to difficult. Does anyone make these? Or will I just have to have some made?

i got the idea for mine on here, dont remember where or who but they work well and only LOOK LIKE they bolt to the rocker panel, and make a great step too

slider1.jpg

slider2.jpg

slider3.jpg

slider4.jpg

slider5.jpg

I intend on making some out of 3" angle iron with a tube step welded on and bolting it along the rocker and reinforcing it to the frame as well. Seems like the best protection. Might put some 1/8" rubber between the rocker and the slider to protect it.

Just curious about why you don't want it to touch the body at all?

Make them yourself. Sounds and looks like you know what you want. In my experience, figuring out the design is the hard part...fabbing them up is easy.

Check out MarlinCrawler.com I'm looking at a set of weld-on sliders in their Toyota Trails ad right now.

Owyhee Jackass said:
Make them yourself. Sounds and looks like you know what you want. In my experience, figuring out the design is the hard part...fabbing them up is easy.

diddo

HawkDriver said:
I intend on making some out of 3" angle iron with a tube step welded on and bolting it along the rocker and reinforcing it to the frame as well. Seems like the best protection. Might put some 1/8" rubber between the rocker and the slider to protect it.

Just curious about why you don't want it to touch the body at all?

Because it's not necessary. The body is up high enough (especially with the lip trimmed) to clear the tubing. And anything that's bolted to the body and the frame, where flex could occur, might be a bad thing.

Owyhee Jackass said:

Check out MarlinCrawler.com I'm looking at a set of weld-on sliders in their Toyota Trails ad right now.

Yup already talked about it with a buddy. I'll post pics when I'm done....

I wondered where you were! Thought you would Bird Dog any slider thread!

Ed;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom