Rocker Panel water problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have determined from calling experts like Slee-Off-Road and confirmed from some threads on this website that the water in my rocker panels comes from drainage from the sunroof. Why anyone would design a car including introducing water into a rocker panel is beyond me, but the water is supposed to drain out without me having to pop a rubber plug everytime it rains.

Appartently there are some "slits" under the rocker panel that one is supposed to unclog but all I can find is one gap about half an inch long and its hard to know if this is just a manufacturing clitch or is meant to be there......I used a toothbrush on it anyway but it looks the same as when I started.

The slits, how many are there and where are they and what do they look like?

If I cant find the slits or if I keep getting water in the rocker panel I am forced to leave one or more rubber plugs out permenantly. But as I live in the North East this isnt a good idea as salt will get in to the rocker panel and lead to corrosion and the unthinkable.......

Last edited:
I have been pondering the idea of actually extending the hoses for my moonroof so that they will extend BEYOND the rocker. In doing this, I would also be drilling a hole at the bottom of the rocker for each drainage tube so that the outer diamater of the drainage tubes would fit through the hole and extend out past the bottom of the rocker. Not so much that it would be noticeable or crappy looking, but just enough so that the bottom of the drainage tube has NO WAY of dumping water into the rocker ever again. After drilling the holes, I would also seal each tube into place using either a decent silicone or a type of water proof epoxy. With that modification in mind, the drainage tubes will only be able to dump any water collected or residual moisture outside of the rocker.

Most sunroof/moonroof designs or drainage areas have flaws in MANY vehicles, it's not just the Land Cruisers.

Search...there are many thread with pictures about these slits...

I cleared mine out and then bend them open a little more to avoid this problem in the future.

Grantchstr;
While u are in "80-Series Tech", do a search in this forum using the word "water rockers", and a long list come up. We need to come up with a good mod like Cobra Jet just mentioned.
dfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom