Rocker Panel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I’d post this here (I’ll also add a link in the 25 and 45 sections) as I didn’t expect too much visibility in my build thread in the 45 section.

Question for those that have got into replacement/repair/restoration of their rocker panels: did you find a bolt with a nut in the location shown in the first pic below (arrow pointing to hole - pic is from below looking up into exposed bottom of sill, rocker, driver’s floor panel and A pillar)? I did on my ‘63 FJ45 SWB (early ‘63). Thing is, the nut is not captured so this bolt can only be removed with either the rocker panel dissected (panel can’t be removed unless the bolt is removed - along with a bunch of spot welds and butt welds - chicken and egg kind of thing), and during manufacturing assembly this bolt and non-captured nut has to go in before the driver’s floor is tacked in. So this bolt is never really removeable. Same on both sides.
768DF26D-DF72-40BF-A48B-DD33005B707E.jpeg

Design changed by ‘65 because here’s my ‘65s door sill and you can see the obvious accessible bolt and nut (and welds). Again, same both sides.
IMG_2221.JPG

Because of the welds, I’m assuming these bolts are simply assembly tooling. If that’s true, then should I replace them? I have access now until I tack in the replacement rocker panel patch. I might be able to put a couple of spot welds on the nuts so the bolt could be removed, but for what purpose?

Last edited:
I decided to tack weld the nuts in place just cuz, that way I could remove the bolt for whatever reason. Upon tacking in the passenger side replacement rocker panel it dawned on me that this bolt will give me access to spray in fluid film for additional rust prevention/growth after it’s all buttoned up. Bingo! Anyone following the patina thread by @wngrog will know the benefits of fluid film. You can get FF with a long hose that enables this sort of application. Since these nuts weren’t originally staked I doubt this was Toyota’s purpose but a 56+ year old repurposing is skookum in my books, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom