Rocker Chop-Home-Made Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got the nerve to chop off the rusty rocker panels on my 85 FJ60. I had seen on this site where some people had welded in steel directly to the body. I went with welding back to the frame.

It was straight forward but very time consuming for a novice welder.

I am happy with the result. I can Jack the vehicle up on the sliders. But I think I will grind down the frame welds and have a pro re-weld to be sure.

This is all made from a single 24' stick of 2X3 3/16. Was cheaper to buy the whole stick. Plus a small piece of plate from home depot.

Here are some pictures.

davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5435-raw.jpg

After chopping and cleanup/paint

davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5432-chop.jpg

Welded to frame

davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5436-weld.jpg

Done
davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5433-done2.jpg

davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5434-done.jpg

davidaw-albums-85-fj60-picture5437-done3.jpg

That looks great . Real clean. Forget the "professional" follow up. You should be good to go. Most sliders I have seen have 3 extentions but if yor fully penetrated on the welds - 2 will do. 2X3 is plenty beefy.

your rig looks great. my question is, aren't you compromising the structural integrity of the b-pillar by cutting most of the rocker section off?

It depends on how much he cut. Mine is all reinforced to the new rocker tubing. There is a lot of strength to be lost if this is not done.

hank, do you have a picture of what you did? i'm interested in doing the same.

I don't have pics during the process. I'll do my damndest to get pics this weekend of the finished product. It should be enough to see what is done. I didn't do it, a fabricator friend did.

your rig looks great. my question is, aren't you compromising the structural integrity of the b-pillar by cutting most of the rocker section off?
Good question. I asked round here some months back. Other people did not seem to have an issue.
The parts cut away were pretty bad so they were not supporting much.
I did leave some of the pillar extension in tact behind the slider. But I did not attach it to the slider.

I Guess I will try not to yank on the seatbelt too hard from now on.

Thanks for the comments.
Dave

Nice,

You saved yourself 3+ inches of clearance doing it that way, too.

You did a great job there, I will be doing something similar when the weather warms up.
I'm not sure if I'll weld it right to the body and then weld to the frame. I like your gap from the body, but my rockers are more lace than curtain, so I'll either cap the body with sheet metal and then mount the slider or just weld it straight to the body.

Thanks for the inspiration.

That looks great . Real clean. Forget the "professional" follow up. You should be good to go. Most sliders I have seen have 3 extentions but if yor fully penetrated on the welds - 2 will do. 2X3 is plenty beefy.
Yes, Im thinking of adding another extension to the front. Might be easier to measure/fit with everything tight. It was hard enough getting 2 to line up.

Thanks for the comments.
Dave

Post up your slider build measurements, I'm sure there will be plenty out there wanting to do the same! Again, great job!

What's the overall length of your sliders and what size tires? I'm assuming 33's? and the length something around 65ish inches?

What's the overall length of your sliders and what size tires? I'm assuming 33's? and the length something around 65ish inches?
They are 70" at the top which is a tad bit long, I angled the ends to follow the body. Really just eye-balled it. Yes 33s.

I had a 24ft stick cut int 4 6' pieces which worked out just right. Had on piece left over that may be part of a bumper one day.

Post up your slider build measurements, I'm sure there will be plenty out there wanting to do the same! Again, great job!
I'll try to document since there is some interest.

Thanks for the comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom