Rocker Arm/Adjuster Screw/Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently heard an intermittent sharp tick sound from the engine and stethoscoped it to the upper end. I tore off the rocker cover and found three of the exhaust adjuster screws worn half off on only one side. This made excessive clearance and caused the pushrod to make the tick sound intermittently. I ground the smashed portion of the adjuster and rounded it to fit back in the pushrod and then performed a valve adjustment. After the valve adjustment with the engine running and the rocker cover off the same three exhaust valves continued to wear and loosen the valve clearance. I also noticed that there was no oil squirting out of the holes on the rocker arms.

So, based on this, I have two questions:

First, where can I purchase replacement valve clearance adjuster screws?

Second, what is the normal amount of oil you see on the rocker arm squirting with the engine running? I seen no oil on the upper end squirting or sitting in the cast plugs. The oil pressure gauge on the dash reads normal oil pressure though.

Any help is appreciated.

Timing of this really sucked too, I planned on taking her to the beach and having some fun and camping.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

SOR sells the entire (used) rocker arm and rockers. I thougth they were about $75.

Probably other sources as well.

Good Luck

Rocky

Is this an f, or 2f engine. They have different oiling systems. Either one should be lubing the rocker arms. You should have oil pooled up in the crevasses of the head casting and on the rocker arms. If you are not getting oil up to the rockers, you will loose metal eventually. You say you had it running w/ the rocker cover off? You should have seen oil coming up to this area. Oil pressure sender is in the mains section of the oil gallery, so if it's reading pressure, your mains are prolly ok. The head oiling is at the end of the oils journey before it goes back to the pan. The f engine incorperates a seperate oil pipe to the rocker shaft. the 2f has this passage way integrated into the rocker shaft pedistal.

Since both engines feed the rocker assembly from the cam up through one passage, you have debris blocking the port in one of the rocker shafts. All the dry rockers are on the same end, right? The adjusting screws are hardened, so when you ground them, you trashed them. You can probably buy used assemblies cheap on this board. Screws can be had from Toyota, I'm sure. Solve the lack of lubrication mystery first. You pull the rocker shafts & blow them out but likely the bearings on the rockers & the affected shaft are bad now.

Thanks for the help. It's a 2f. Got screws from cruiserparts.net at $8 ea. I will pull and inspect the rocker shaft and oil passage. I plan to blow some low pressure air through the oil filter flange outlet to verify the passage is clear, does anyone see anything wrong with doing this? Thanks again.

A bad idea

If you have oil to some of the rockers, obviously there is pressure to the top end. You didn't say if all the dry rockers are on one end, or not, but my guess is that's the case. There are two rocker shafts in the F assembly & one in the 2F, so one end or one shaft is plugged, or even cracked - unlikely, but possible. They also have to properly oriented to feed correctly - see the FSM. Take it off & see if you can clear it with air. Soak in solvent. Probe with small diameter wire. Check the passage where that feeds the shaft assembly if that doesn't solve the problem. Work your way from the problem back to the blockage. If you start blowing air in the bottom end you could force more junk, if that's what's causing your problem, up into the block.

Thanks Buckwheat

There is no oil to the entire rocker shaft. I will remove it later today and post an update as to the results.

I believe on the F1 1/2 & 2Fs this can be caused by an improper head gasket / bad install blocking the oil feed to the rocker.

IIRC - the oil comes up through one of the head bolts?

Rocky

Removed the rocker shaft and cleaned it. I went to blow air into the oil passage on the journal and it was totally blocked. So I pulled both rocker arms away from the rocker stand and slid the rocstand over...viola- somehow the rocker shaft was 90 degrees off and none of the oil passages were aligned to the shaft. I knew something was wrong when I went to remove the shaft and couldn't pull it off easily. I don't know how the hell it could have been installed that way considering the flat machined spots in the shaft allow the bolts to slide through while if it's rotated you can't install the bolts. I tried to pull the two remaining stuck bolts, no luck, I then went to a rubber mallet and tried hammering them out, an impact gun, back to the rubber mallet...then the rocstand broke in two and now I need a new rocker shaft assy or parts.

I'm off to order a new shaft...maybe just the rocstand if I can get it.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I don't know how the hell it could have been installed that way considering the flat machined spots in the shaft allow the bolts to slide through while if it's rotated you can't install the bolts.
X2!!.....

PM me

I'm glad you figured out what was wrong & I know how those shafts can be installed improperly, because I've done it. They are a little tricky. I figured it out when it was taking major effort to torque the bolts. I have an entire assembly from a 2F, in pretty good shape, including pedestals, that you can have if you pay for shipping. PM me your info if you have a 2F. I don't think it can be used on the F.

I suspect your pushrod ends might be toast also. A good visual inspection should confirm that. While in there you might want to replace the rocker bearings and purchase a new rocker shaft too. The shaft is toast if there is a ridge worn into it where the rockers ride. Check with SOR first because I believe the old style pushrods are no longer available so if you go with new pushrods you will need the matching newer style rockers.

Pushrods are okay. New adjusters are in. No ridges on the shaft. I visually checked the rockers and their bearings. Overall everything looks fine. I'm doing the valve adjustment right now (letting the truck get hot). I'll let you know how it turns out. At least now there is oil squirting out the rocker arm holes this time.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom